Thursday, December 1, 2011

Aaron Rodgers, Faith, and St. Francis of Assisi

In many ways, Aaron Rodgers is not an average NFL quarterback.

From the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers usually has some interesting, informative, amusing or unexpected to say during his weekly radio spot with Jason Wilde of WAUK-AM (540) and Tuesday's interview was no exception....
On whether Rodgers takes into account, given what some see as the backlash Denver quarterback Tim Tebow has gotten for his way of expressing his beliefs, when considering how much of his own religious beliefs to share publicly: "Well I started playing before Tim, so these are things I’ve thought about for a long time, and I think one thing that I try to look at when I was a younger player, and I mean, in high school, junior college, and Division I, I was always interested in seeing how guys talked in their interviews, talked about their faith, or didn’t talk about their faith. And then the reactions at time, I know Bob Costas at one point was critical about a player thanking Jesus Christ after a win, questioning what would happen if that player had lost, or do you really think God cares about winning and losing. That's all to say that I feel like my stance and my desire has always been to follow a quote from St. Francis of Assisi, who said, 'Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words.' So basically, I’m not an over-the-top, or an in-your-face kind of guy with my faith. I would rather people have questions about why I act the way I act, whether they view it as positive or not, and ask questions, and then given an opportunity at some point, then you can talk about your faith a little bit. I firmly believe, just personally, what works for me, and what I enjoy doing is letting my actions speak about the kind of character that I want to have, and following that quote from St. Francis."

That's a great quote.

Listen to the podcast of the November 29, 2011, "Tuesdays with Aaron" here.

No comments: