Friday, December 16, 2011

The Debate, Sioux City

Did anything important happen during last night's Republican presidential primary debate?

I had it on, but I was writing out Christmas cards.

Occasionally, something on TV would draw my attention away from my task.

It might be Ron Paul's squeaky yapping or Newt Gingrich talking over the moderators that would distract me.

I'd look up now and then, and see Mitt Romney speaking, looking like he always does, very Romney-ish. What was he saying? I don't know.

Rick Perry seemed lost. The "Tim Tebow" line was stupid. In that brief moment, which was all I saw of him, he was trying too hard.

If Michele Bachmann and Rick Santorum said much, I missed it. All I heard from Jon Huntsman were his closing remarks.

This debate received a lot of hype. It is the last one before Iowa, so I guess I should have watched it closely.

But I'm powerless. I'm not in Iowa or New Hampshire. Why bother?

All the pundits have been fighting it out. Who's the best candidate? Who can beat Obama? Who guarantees failure in November?

What does the Wall Street Journal say? National Review?

I feel like I'm on the sidelines and my vote won't matter. Others will decide.

I don't think that's the way it's supposed to work.

No comments: