Sunday, February 12, 2012

Bon Iver - Best New Artist

Bon Iver wins the Grammy for Best New Artist of the Year.

Wisconsin-bred band Bon Iver, the indie folk project founded by singer-songwriter Justin Vernon, was named best new artist at the 54th Grammy Awards, besting crowd favorite Nicki Minaj as well as a diverse set of performers from electronica, rap and country music. Vernon first gained attention for his 2007 debut, “For Emma, Forever Ago,” recorded in isolation in rural Wisconsin and filled with soaring vocal harmonies.

...Bon Iver’s second record, with each song based on a real or imaginary place, opened up his sound to soft-rock influences, as well as synths, horns and other instrumentation that veered away from his folk roots. It’s also nominated for alternative music album, counting as one of Vernon’s four Grammy nods this year.

Very nice acceptance speech, considering the awkwardness of Justin Vernon's previous comments about the Grammys.
JUSTIN VERNON: I, uh... it's really hard to accept this award. Um, but, uh, well, there's so much talent out here, like on the stage, and there's a lot of talent that's not here, um, tonight. And it's also hard to accept because, you know, when I started to make songs I did it for the inherent reward of making songs.

But, um, so, I'm a little bit uncomfortable up here. Uh, but with that discomfort, I do have a sense of gratitude. And I want to say thank you to all the nominees, all the non-nominees that have never been here and never will be here; all the bands I toured with; all the bands that inspired me, all the artists. I also want to say, sorry, I also want to say thank you to all the voters, of course, sweet, sweet hookup; all my bandmates, old and new; the city of Eau Claire, Wisconsin; Jagjaguwar, my label, for being both, having transparency and friendship; and also my friends and family...; and of course, most of all, my parents. Thank you, guys.

Justin Vernon gave a shout-out to Eau Claire!!!

It might be a little uncomfortable, but being recognized with an award isn't a bad thing. That doesn't mean one is making music for that purpose or with that goal in mind.

Congratulations, Bon Iver!

2 comments:

Harvey Finkelstein said...

Their Indie cred is flying out the window and he knows it. Without it Bon Iver doesn't have much. They are never going to be mainstream.

The Grammy's will pick a Bon Iver to try to give itself some credibility within all of the other BS that they purvey. Best to keep the Grammy's at arm's length if you are a Bon Iver.

Mary said...

Bon Iver isn't mainstream.

It's safe to say that in 40 years Justin Vernon will not be on stage with a bunch of old guy icons to end the Grammy awards ceremony like McCartney and friends did last night.

I think his indie status is secure.

I doubt Bon Iver will be a perennial Grammy nominee, let alone winner.