Monday, February 6, 2012

M.I.A. Super Bowl Finger: NBC, NFL Apology

Another Super Bowl, another halftime controversy, another silly set of apologies.

The problem: M.I.A. didn't act like a lady when she performed with Madonna. (I'm shocked!!!)



She embarrassed herself by flipping the bird during a close-up.

Charming!

Video:




NBC has apologized.

From The Hollywood Reporter:

NBC and the NFL have apologized for M.I.A.'s middle finger moment during Sunday's Super Bowl halftime show.

The rapper flipped the bird while performing alongside Madonna and Nicki Minaj on the network's telecast, which was watched by millions as one of the biggest events on television.

"The NFL hired the talent and produced the halftime show," NBC said in a statement to THR. "Our system was late to obscure the inappropriate gesture and we apologize to our viewers."

For its part, the NFL released a statement that seemed to blame the fault delay system for the airing of the gesture. "There was a failure in NBC's delay system. The obscene gesture in the performance was completely inappropriate, very disappointing, and we apologize to our fans."

NBC blames the NFL for hiring M.I.A. and the NFL blames NBC for its delay system.

I think they're both at fault.

The apologies are for the viewers who were offended, but I don't think any heads will roll at NBC because of this. No big deal. In fact, I think NBC is pleased there was some controversy to keep people talking.

The NFL can pin the blame on NBC and avoid taking responsibility for the crude gesture. By calling out NBC, the NFL can avoid being held accountable for M.I.A.'s inappropriate behavior while avoiding criticism that its halftime acts are too safe and geriatric.

And for her part, the once edgy Madonna, now a middle-aged woman (if one lives to be 106), didn't have to misbehave. She had a surrogate do the dirty work.

So, the apology statements have been made, but I don't think NBC or the NFL are actually sorry. I'm sure there are no regrets.

No comments: