Friday, May 18, 2012

Tom Barrett Misses Police Ceremonies (Audio)

Tom Barrett, the mayor of Milwaukee, the guy who criticizes Governor Walker for campaigning instead of doing his job, was scheduled to attend two law enforcement events this week.

One was a merit awards ceremony. His name was on the program, but he didn't show up. The other was a memorial ceremony for fallen Milwaukee officers. Barrett said he would attend. He didn't.

Barrett bailed on both high profile law enforcement recognition ceremonies.

Even worse than that slight, when asked where he was that would take priority over attending, Barrett gave a disgraceful response.

Listen to 620 WTMJ's John Mercure question Tom Barrett about being a no-show.

Milwaukee Mayor Barrett begins by turning political: "Well, I've been traveling the state, and the Milwaukee Police Association has endorsed Scott Walker so I'm not surprised at all that they would look for any reason to attack me."

Barrett, rather than honoring law enforcement in his role as mayor of Milwaukee, puts politics first.

When Mercure asks Barrett specifically where he was, Barrett claims not to know.

Less than 24 hours after Barrett's bail occurred, Barrett says, "I honestly don't know." He promises to get the "specifics" to Mercure.

He can't remember where he was? Really?

What a disgrace!

John Mercure writes:

Law enforcement officials are angered and looking for answers after Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett did not attend two separate law enforcement recognition ceremonies this week, including one that recognizes Milwaukee police officers killed in the line of duty.

...I caught up with Mayor Barrett to ask him why he didn't attend the ceremonies. He said he would need to check his schedule and get back to me. I asked him how he could not know what he was doing Wednesday and Tuesday. He claimed he didn't know his schedule. "I was working. I was… I'll have to get back to you about the specifics," the mayor told me.

I also told him that I had heard from several members of the law enforcement community who were upset about his absence. I asked him about the perception that fallen law enforcement officers were not a priority.

"I have been to hospital beds and grieved with families of officers," Barrett told me. "And I've attended the fallen officer ceremony eight of the last nine years."

It is still unclear why he didn't attend this year's ceremonies.

On Monday, the Barrett for Governor campaign sent out a press release claiming that Governor Scott Walker was "spending more time on his political career than doing his job." I asked the mayor about the press release and the fact that he was, in his words, 'traveling the state'. He said that was different than Scott Walker traveling the state campaigning.

Now we do know where Barrett was instead of attending the memorial.

Barrett didn't tell Mercure, but Mercure found out.

John Mercure reports:

It turns out, Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett was in Oshkosh talking with union organizers when he missed an event in Milwaukee honoring law enforcement in southeast Wisconsin, including Milwaukee Police officers.

...Newsradio 620 WTMJ's John Mercure caught up with the Mayor Thursday and asked where he had been during the events. The Mayor and his staff couldn't remember where they were at the time. "I was working. I was… I'll have to get back to you about the specifics," the mayor told John.

The Mayor's campaign never got back with specifics. But we've now learned about his appearance in Oshkosh.

On Wisconsin's Afternoon News today, you'll hear what the Mayor was saying to union leaders in Oshkosh as his police department was remembering officers who were killed in the line of duty.

Three words to Barrett: SHAME, SHAME, SHAME!

Barrett put a campaign meeting with union organizers ahead of a memorial for fallen Milwaukee police officers.

So Barrett "forgot" he was in Oshkosh? Yeah, right.

It is disgusting that Barrett would lie about where he was.

I hope he lied. If he didn't, he has serious short-term memory problems.

In either case, Barrett looks terrible. It's another terrible move in an imploding campaign.

To slight Milwaukee law enforcement this way really is inexcusable.

______________

Kudos to John Mercure for asking questions of Barrett that needed to be asked.

No comments: