Friday, July 19, 2013

John Spooner Testifies (Video)

John Spooner has a warped idea of justice.

From FOX6 News:


The trial for John Spooner, the 76-year-old man found guilty of first degree intentional homicide in the death of Darius Simmons was put on hold for a brief period Thursday, July 18th in order for Spooner to be evaluated to determine whether he was competent to proceed.

Just before 3:00 p.m., it was determined Spooner is competent to proceed with the trial, and proceedings were resumed.

Then, it was learned that despite advice from his attorney not to, Spooner would testify in his trial — telling his story to the jury.

...On Thursday, Spooner took the stand, telling the jury he was victimized several times since 2008, with his home having been burglarized and his guns stolen. Police never made any arrests.

“When I had police investigate, they said no evidence. They knew at the time, they knew before they got there they were not going to do anything. I don’t know why,” Spooner said.

Spooner was questioned about whether he lost control on the morning of May 31st, 2012.

“I wanted those guns back so bad. I grabbed the pistol and put it in my pocket. Why then, I walked out and I remember I was 10 feet away. I pulled the pistol out — pulled it on the kid, and I said ‘I want my guns back,’” Spooner said.

The prosecution cross-examined him, and Spooner said he was very angry.

“I wouldn’t call it revenge. I’d call it justice,” Spooner said.
Based on the video, Spooner appears competent to stand trial.

I don't think the sort of anger exhibited by Spooner qualifies as a mental disease or defect. It seems he knew what he was doing. He didn't have a break with reality.

Spooner was victimized and he was dissatisfied with the police response. Get in line behind everyone else feeling the same way. Spooner had no excuse for gunning down Darius Simmons.

His violent, murderous behavior doesn't seem to have been rooted in illness. He wanted what he considers justice, so he committed a crime to achieve it.

Actions have consequences. Spooner needs to be held accountable.



No comments: