Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Happy 4th of July!



On July 3, 1776, John Adams wrote a prophetic letter to his wife Abigail. It foretold the significance of Independence Day.

He wrote:

"I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by Solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfire and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more."

The second president of the United States was right.

Two hundred forty-one years later, it is a day of celebration, a great anniversary.

I feel so, so blessed to be an American, to be a member of the "succeeding generations" that inherited independence.

Adams wrote to Abigail that he understood how high the price of liberty would be, but that didn't discourage him.

"You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. - I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. - Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will tryumph in that Days Transaction, even altho We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not."

I'm so grateful to all those who fought for my freedom -- the American patriots of over two hundred years ago, throughout our history, and today.

I love my country.

I cherish my freedom.


Happy Fourth of July!

God Bless America.

No comments: