Monday, February 26, 2018

PyeongChang Closing Ceremony



I thought the closing ceremony for the PyeongChang Winter Olympic Games was terrific.

I know the ratings for these Winter Olympics were down.

I watched as much as I always do, maybe more.

I watched the women's gold medal hockey game live. I watched the men's curling gold medal match live, finishing up after 3:00 AM. Once I committed to that point, I had to stay up for the medal ceremony.

Following Team USA throughout the games was a joy.

The decision of some American athletes to inject politics into their participation was unfortunate. I love that the entire country cheers for the same team during the Olympics. It's unifying. It's fun. I didn't appreciate the effort by those athletes to divide. Nonetheless, I put that stuff aside and still hoped they'd do well. I wouldn't let their crap impact my enjoyment of cheering for Team USA.

Some highlights:

Men's Snowboard Slopestyle: Red Gerard wins GOLD.

Men's Singles Luge: Chris Mazdzer wins SILVER, the first EVER U.S. men's single luge medal.

Figure Skating Team Event: Team USA wins BRONZE. Mirai Nagasu is the third woman and first American woman to land a triple axel at the Olympics!

Women's Snowboard Slopestyle: Jamie Anderson wins GOLD, again.

Women's Snowboard Halfpipe: Chloe Kim wins GOLD. Arielle Gold wins BRONZE.

Men's Snowboard Halfpipe: Shaun White wins GOLD, his third GOLD in the event.

Women's Giant Slalom: Mikaela Shiffrin wins GOLD.

Men's Short Track Speed Skating 1000m: John-Henry Krueger wins SILVER.

Men's Freestyle Skiing Slopestyle: Nick Goepper wins SILVER.

Figure Skating - Ice Dance:
Maia and Alex Shibutani win BRONZE.

Women's Freestyle Skiing Halfpipe: Brita Sigourney wins BRONZE.

Women's Downhill: Lindsey Vonn wins BRONZE.

Women's Bobsled: Elana Meyers Taylor and Lauren Gibbs win SILVER.

Women's Cross-Country Skiing Team Sprint: Jessie Diggins and Kikkan Randall win GOLD.

Women's Speed Skating Team Pursuit: Heather Bergsma, Brittany Bowe, Mia Manganello, and Carlijn Schoutens win BRONZE.

Men's Freestyle Skiing Halfpipe: David Wise wins GOLD. Alex Ferreira wins SILVER.

Women's Snowboard Big Air: Jamie Anderson wins SILVER.

Women's Alpine Combined: Mikaela Shiffrin wins SILVER.

Women's Ice Hockey: Team USA wins GOLD in a shootout.

Men's Snowboard Big Air: Kyle Mack wins SILVER.

Men's Curling: Team USA wins GOLD! Historic!

CONGRATULATIONS, TEAM USA!

No comments: