Saturday, March 15, 2008

Barack Obama and Major Garrett

UPDATE, March 18, 2008: Barack Obama's Speech on Race -- transcript

In his interview with Major Garrett on March 14, 2008, Obama said:

I think that the statements [of Rev. Wright] that have been strung together are compiled out of hundreds of sermons that he delivered over the course his lifetime. But, obviously, they are ones that are, from my perspective, completely unacceptable and inexcusable.

And if I had thought that was the tenor or tone on an ongoing basis of his sermons, then yes, I don't think that it would've been reflective of my values or my faith experience.

...I would've quit [the church].

Since this Rev. Wright thing became a full-fledged firestorm, Obama has been on a media tour, claiming that he didn't hear his pastor make such ugly statements. In his speech today, he retracts.

I have already condemned, in unequivocal terms, the statements of Reverend Wright that have caused such controversy. For some, nagging questions remain. Did I know him to be an occasionally fierce critic of American domestic and foreign policy? Of course. Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church? Yes.

So, he was in the church to hear Wright make controversial statements. (No, wait -- Obama said, "remarks that could be considered controversial." Apparently, Obama's "controversial" threshold is different than that of the vast majority of Americans.)

In any event, Obama's earlier denials that he heard his pastor say inflammatory things makes him look like he was engaged in cover-up. Today, he came clean, once he realized that this matter wasn't going to go away.


Obama was definitely trying to mislead the American people. Sounds like politics as usual to me. Change? What change?

_________________

Barack Obama did the unthinkable.

He actually appeared on FOX News last night, interviewed by Major Garrett, to address the controversy about his spiritual mentor Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

That's a clear indication of just how seriously the campaign is now taking the revelations about Obama's church.

What's odd is that Wright's racist, anti-Semitic, anti-American sermons aren't news. Obama has been asked about his controversial church before and his allegiance to his pastor. Obama laughed it off. He claimed to be proud of his church and called Wright an "old uncle" who sometimes says crazy things.

But the Obama campaign couldn't avoid addressing the matter directly any longer, not after ABC ran the story.

Obama's appearance on FOX did not help him. It was an embarrassment.

He was flailing. This was not the eloquent Obama.




Transcript

Garrett: I want to ask you a set of basic, sort of threshold questions about your faith experience at Trinity United Church of Christ because I think they will help Americans understand the story. So, the first question: How long have you been a member in good standing of that church?

Obama: You know, I've been a member since 1991 or '92, and... but I'd known Trinity even before then when I was a community organizer on the south side helping steelworkers find jobs, and we were organizing with churches and trying to recruit folks to get involved in that process. Trinity was one of the churches that we tried to get involved in some of these community projects.

Garrett: As a member in good standing, were you a regular attendee of Sunday services?

Obama: I won't say that I was a perfect attendee. I was regular in spurts because there were times where... For example, our child had just been born, our first child, and so we didn't go as regularly then.

Garrett: When you attended, sir, when you attended did you donate frequently?

Obama: Yes.

Garrett: OK. Were you and Michelle married there and did Rev. Wright preside?

Obama: Yes.

Garrett: Were your two daughters baptized there and did Rev. Wright preside over the baptisms?

Obama: That is correct, Major.

Garrett establishes that Obama has a long, close connection with Wright and his church.

Wright and that church is an integral part of the lives of Obama and his family.

Obama gave money to support Wright and Trinity United Church of Christ.


Garrett: Very good. I wanted to talk to you about your statement released this afternoon because earlier today when I contacted your campaign and I asked them if there was any way the campaign felt the need to add further context, add further distance between yourself and the statements of Rev. Wright, the one word answer I received was 'No.'

Then late this afternoon, you have a statement that says, 'I vehemently disagree,' 'strongly condemn.' I'm trying to understand the evolution between this morning and this afternoon. I'd like to know specifically, Senator, what you vehemently disagree with and what you strongly condemn.

Obama: Well, Major, I gotta confess that as you know I was voting in the Senate all day yesterday, so I wasn't following this story as carefully as I could have been and then I flew back to Chicago. When I saw these statments, many of which I had heard for the first time, then I thought it was important to make a very clear and unequivocal statement.

None of these statements were ones that I had heard myself personally in the pews. One of them I had heard about after I had started running for president and I put out a statement at that time condemning them.

The other statements were ones that I just heard about while we were... when they started being run on FOX and some of the other stations. And so they weren't things that I was familiar with. Once I saw them I had to be very clear about the fact that these are not statements that I am comfortable with. I reject them completely. They are not ones that reflect my values or my ideals, or Michelle's; and that had I heard them, had I been sitting in the church at the time that they were spoken, I would have been absolutely clear to Rev. Wright that I didn't find those acceptable.

The excuses are priceless.

Obama saying that he was voting all day on Thursday so he didn't know about this is an absolute joke.

It's impossible to believe that he didn't know there was a controversy. It's inconceivable.

It is conceivable that Obama is lying and doing a bad job of it.

I think it's interesting that Obama says Wright's statements don't reflect his values and they don't reflect Michelle's values. Obama went out of his way to do damage control for Michelle. That was no accident.

Wright and Michelle sound like they're on the exact same page, divisive and angry and down on America.


Garrett: Sir, would you have quit the church had you heard them personally?

Obama: You know, I guess, keep in mind that just to provide more context, this is somebody who I'd known for 20 years. Pastor Wright had been a pastor for 30 years. He's an ex-Marine. He is somebody who is a Biblical scholar, has spoken at theological seminaries all across the country from the University of Chicago to Hampton. And so he is a well-regarded preacher, and somebody who is known for talking about the social gospel.

But most of the time when I'm in church, he's talking about Jesus, God, faith, values, caring for the poor, family. Those were the messages that I was hearing. And so, you know, I think that the statements that have been strung together are compiled out of hundreds of sermons that he delivered over the course his lifetime. But, obviously, they are ones that are, from my perspective, completely unacceptable and inexcusable.

And if I had thought that was the tenor or tone on an ongoing basis of his sermons, then yes, I don't think that it would've been reflective of my values or my faith experience.

Obama says, "Most of the time when I'm in church, he's talking about Jesus, God, faith...."

"Most of the time"? What about the rest of the time? What has Obama heard Wright say?

Obama points out that Wright is an ex-Marine. How lame!

That doesn't matter. Wright spews hate. He's divisive and racist and says outrageous things about America.

Who cares that he's an ex-Marine? That doesn't give him a pass to preach such ugliness. Given Wright's remarks, it's hard to imagine that he was a Marine and served our country.

Obama notes that Wright is a Biblical scholar. Really? He must be a bad one. The things Wright says don't sound very Christian. He sounds like he's trying to incite a riot.

On what planet is the hateful Wright a "well-regarded preacher"?

He talks about Jesus and the poor. Fine. He also talks about God "damning" America.


Garrett: So quick yes or no, if you had heard them in person you would have quit.

Obama: If I had heard them repeated, I would've quit. I mean obviously, understand that, understand that, this is somebody who is like an uncle, if you have..., to me. He's somebody who helped me find Christ. And somebody who always talked to me in very powerful ways about relationship to God and our obligations to the poor. If somebody makes a mistake, then obviously, you recognize I make mistakes. We all make mistakes. If I thought that that was the repeated tenor of the church then I wouldn't feel comfortable there, but frankly that has not been my experience at Trinity United Church of Christ.

The old uncle stuff again -- good grief.

We know the tenor of the Trinity United Church of Christ.

We also know that Obama has felt comfortable there for 20 years.


Garrett: In the time we have remaining, you said that in your statement today, 'When I first heard these I was beginning my campaign,' yet you did not begin your campaign on December 4, 2007, when in a press release your campaign announced that Rev. Wright was a part of a, quote unquote, African-American religious leadership committee. I'd like you to try to help me understand the inconsistency there, because obviously if you knew about them at the beginning of your campaign and you put him on this committee later you would have been aware.

Obama: No, no. Wait, wait, Major. I didn't know about all these statements. I knew about one or two statements that had been made and as a consequence, as I said, if it was just a function of one or two statements, then that's not something that would lead me to distance myself from either my church or my pastor. And if I was gonna have a committee talking about faith issues, which we've been very active in doing all across the country, reaching out to evangelicals and talking to the church communities all across the country, it would not make sense if my own pastor wasn't on that committee.

So Obama considers Wright to be his spiritual mentor but he really doesn't know what's in his heart.

Bad, bad judgment on Obama's part.


Now Pastor Wright is retiring, and part of the reason that this is not an issue once it came to my attention that we pressed very hard was the fact that he's on the brink of retirement. He's preached his last sermon. He's taken a sabbatical. He is not going to be active in the church and has not been active in my campaign and he is no longer a part of that committee. But my judgment at the time was that this was not as problematic as what I've seen over the last couple of days.

It doesn't matter that Wright is retiring. So what?

This isn't just about the present or the future. It's about the foundation of Obama's faith. Wright has provided the foundation for the past 20 years.

Obama can keep denouncing Wright.

It appears to be nothing but political expediency.

Nothing can change the fact that Obama has been and continues to be a member of a church that preaches hate and racism. Over the years, he has given financial support to the church.

No appearances on FOX or the Sunday morning shows can change that fact.

Obama cannot rewrite his past. He can't gloss over Wright's message from the pulpit. It is what it is.

He damns himself when he says that he didn't realize his connection to Wright would be problematic.

Terrible, terrible judgment.

____________________

Sweetness and Light is a great source for links on Wright's radicalism, what Obama knew and when he knew it.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe some of your opinions are based on inaccurate interpretations of Obama's responses. Such as him 'not knowing about' the controversy - he never said that. He was attempting to explain a delay in response to the controversy.

In addition, some of your opinions (putting it nicely) leap to conclusions. Such as Obama mentioning Michelle's name with his while attempting to distinguish his values from Wright's. Obama had just been given a series of questions regarding not just him, but his entire family's relationship to Wright; it is quite reasonable to attach Michelle's name to any response regarding his family's connection to Wright. Yet you jump at this as some attempt of hiding values.

You might be right. Michelle may be this horrible Anti-American in league with a racist African-American preacher, but given the entire situation, I think it's unlikely.

Part of the issue is whether you believe we can pass judgment of the Obama family values based on this association alone. I think other evidence of Obama's values negates any guilt by association with Wright. Obama has a clean record with the Jewish community, and privileged and non-privileged whites. I dont think this whole controversy is such a damaging thing with such a clean personal record.

Anonymous said...

Here is what stood out for me, you can't say on one hand a friendship / relationship goes back 10 or twenty years, and that you go to the church regularly, but then they you've never heard any of this guys "offensive" rhetoric.

Unlike those on the right, I don't have a central problem with black theology, although, I would question their religious charter as I would with any other church using religious as a political forum.

I do think in the end, for Obama, this is much more of a political relationship than a religious one. It is about giving himself some authenticity he would not otherwise have.

The most funny thing the preacher said was Obama growing up a poor black man, something Hillary could not understand. When and where was this, the black ghettos of Hawaii or that upscale school in Indonesia, or living with Grandma and Grandpa in Kansas. If Obama is an exemplar of the shared poor, black, male experience then we as a society have progressed much further than I would have imagined.

Mary said...

"Anonymous"--

You're coming up with excuses for Obama's excuses.

You're also putting words in my mouth. You're making inaccurate interpretations.

I didn't say that Michelle Obama is a horrible Anti-American. I specify that like Wright, she is divisive, angry, and down on America. Her words attest to that. I didn't say that she buys into all of Wright's anti-American conspiracy theories or his anti-Semitism. I'm sorry Michelle harbors such negative feelings about her country. Frankly, given the opportunities she has had and the success she has achieved, I think that's a little odd.

Your reiteration of the pro-Obama talking point "guilt by association" doesn't help your case.

Obama's connection with Wright isn't guilt by association. Obama has embraced Wright. His association isn't some accident. He chose to be guided by Wright. A better term would be "guilt by embrace" or "guilt by choice of spiritual mentor." Definitely very poor judgment on Obama's part.

Finally, Obama does not have a clean personal record. To give just one example, I find his dealings with political supporter and friend Tony Rezko troubling. There's a lot about Obama that the American public needs to learn.

You mention that Obama has a clean record with the Jewish community. Not really. Obama's stance on Israel is questionable. Aaron Klein provides some interesting information. Why would Obama serve on a pro-Palestinian board or consider an anti-Semite like Rashid Khalidi to be a friend?

According to Klein, Khalidi "reportedly worked on behalf of the Palestine Liberation Organization when it was labeled a terror group by the State Department.

"Khalidi held a fundraiser in 2000 for Obama’s failed bid for a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives."

I think once Americans become better informed about Obama they will have a very different impression of him.

Mary said...

I agree, Henry.

I believe Obama when he says he wasn't in attendance when Wright gave some of his despicable sermons.

I don't believe that Obama didn't fully understand where Wright stands in terms of the "US of KKK A."

As you said, Obama can't have it both ways. He plays up the fact that he's this Christian church-going man, but now he wants Americans to put distance between him and his church.

If I heard my pastor say "God damn America" and "the chickens come home to roost" in response to the horror of 9/11, I would walk out and never return.

Anonymous said...

Call it 'excuses' if you want, as if that lessens their substance. You can arguably call any reason an excuse.

Perhaps I did misinterpret you. When you said Michelle was 'on the exact same page' as Wright, I interpreted your list of characteristics as non-exhaustive. So you say Michele only agrees with Wright to the extent of your list. Fine.

'Guilt by embrace'? Are you really attempting to create a new version of 'guilt by association'? It is guilt by association, although you can argue the strength of that association.

HREF="http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/2/29/1028/25810">My Response to your Klein article

Anonymous said...

Lets try that again.

yeah 2nd try

Anonymous said...

Obama cannot call himself a "Christian" if he supports gay marriage and pro abortion. I was certainly not persuaded by his speaking ability nor his verbage. He is not a person I would want as president.

Anonymous said...

My God, Can't you people see through this racist phony and his wife? What does it take, him to repeat his preacher's anti- American comments? Have you gone to the church's website and viewed their ten points of vision? Vision number four is a "Non-negotiable allegince to Africa." What does that mean to you who can think for yourselves? No wonder he won't show respect to our flag or wear an American Flag on his lapel. This man is dangerous and we don't need him as our Commander in Chief

Anonymous said...

Give it up, it's over. CJ, WV

Mary said...

I think Wright is going to be a real problem for Obama.

All the slick talk in the world won't change the reality of Obama's self-professed allegiance to Wright -- preacher of racism, anti-Semitism, and anti-Americanism. Obama chose, in a word, HATE.

Obama can't claim to be a uniter when his spiritual guide is a divider.

I think this raises serious questions about Obama's judgment and his character.

Anonymous said...

Barack Obama’s recent March 18 speech on race relations in America was one of the boldest and most relevant things to come from an American politician in years. Take a listen to my satire, in which I condensed a 40 minute speech down to 2. Mr. Obama urges a revolution on Washington and says the current administration should be taken to prison. Check it out
http://www.associatedcontent.com/audio/2689/barack_obamas_race_in_america_speech.html. Ah, the magic of simple audio editing software!