Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Chuck Todd and Obama

I think the honeymoon may be over.

It's a bit too early to tell.

Yesterday, reporters didn't go as easy on Obama as they had at past news conferences. Obama seemed a little angry about that, like he considered it to be a betrayal.

It wasn't that long ago that the New York Times' Jeff Zeleny lobbed his "enchanting" question at Obama.

What's going on?

I don't know why some in the lib media decided to press Obama the way they did. Maybe it was because it wasn't a prime time news conference. In any event, Obama showed it doesn't take much to get his temper to flare up.

Chuck Todd wanted a straight answer to his question. When he wasn't satisfied with Obama's response, he kept pushing for an answer. Obama didn't like that.

Perhaps Todd is ticked off about ABC being the network to land the Obama health care informercial. That's possible but ABC's Jake Tapper wasn't exactly playing nice with Obama.

Bottom line: I was surprised that some in the lib media chose to channel their inner Reagan-era Sam Donaldson.

Video.




Transcript

MR. OBAMA: Chuck Todd?

QUESTION: Mr. President, I want to follow up on Iran. You have avoided, twice, spelling out consequences. You've hinted that there would be from the international community, if they continue to violate -- and you said "violate these norms." You seemed to hint that there -- there are human rights violations taking place.

MR. OBAMA: I'm not hinting. I think that when a young woman gets shot on the street when she gets out of her car, that's a problem.

QUESTION: Then why won't you spell out the consequences that the Iranian people...

MR. OBAMA: Because I think that we don't know yet how this thing is going to play out. I know everybody here is on a 24-hour news cycle. I'm not. OK?

QUESTION: Shouldn't -- I mean, shouldn't the world...

(CROSSTALK)

MR. OBAMA: I answered -- I answered...

QUESTION: ... present regime know that there are consequences?

MR. OBAMA: I answered your question, which is that we don't yet know how this is going to play out. OK?

Maybe in places like Iran that qualifies as an answer. Not here.

I think Todd can expect Rahm Emanuel to send him a dead fish.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The media is reading the polls too. Maybe they finally are realizing that they are their own worst enemy. Problem is, it's too late.

Mary said...

It's like trying to UNDO a castration.

Too late.