Friday, March 25, 2011

Rachel Maddow, Jimmy Fallon: Wisconsin Gin and Scott Walker

On Thursday's Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, Rachel Maddow made another appearance.

As always, Maddow mixed up some cocktails. Every time she's a guest on the show, she shows off her skills as an amateur mixologist.

Maddow had two segments on Thursday - one talking about politics and current events, and one mixing drinks.

The political stuff was exactly what you'd expect from Maddow - naive and uninformed and silly, typical MSNBC content.

I'm a fan of Jimmy Fallon's show. It's original and fun viewing, exactly what I want to see at the end of the day. I want to be entertained, not listen to Leftist propaganda. So I just sort of tune out when Maddow is making her political comments.

On Tuesday, Brian Williams was the lead guest. On Thursday, it was Maddow. This week, the shows have been a bit heavy with the politics.

I thought once Maddow was at the table to demonstrate how to make a cocktail I would be spared any more of her political pontificating. That's usually the way it works. Unfortunately, that's not the way it worked this time.

While mixing a "Monkey Gland," Maddow took shots at Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker. She said she was using Wisconsin gin to piss off Walker.

As a Wisconsinite, that pissed me off.

Maddow reminded the audience that Walker is the guy who "busted the unions." She said that someone as liberal as she is touching a product from Wisconsin probably makes him "break out in hives."

What a load!

Watch the video:



Transcript

RACHEL MADDOW: This is gin that's from Wisconsin. I chose it specifically to annoy the Republican governor of Wisconsin.

JIMMY FALLON: (Laughs) OK. Why would that make him mad?

MADDOW: I don't know. I figure anything... He's the guy who like busted the unions in Wisconsin and everything.

FALLON: OK.

MADDOW: He was like, 'We're broke, therefore I have to strip your union rights,' which has nothing to do with the budget.

FALLON: Really? We're gonna drink your gin.

MADDOW: So, I'm gonna drink Wisconsin gin because I assume that anybody as liberal as me touching something from Wisconsin makes him break out in hives.

FALLON: (Laughs) There ya go. I like the way you think.

MADDOW: Governor Walker, that's for you.

When I'm watching late night TV, I want to relax and laugh. I'm watching NBC's entertainment programming, not MSNBC's crud. I want to have a good time at the end of the day, not become angry.

That's why I completely stopped watching David Letterman. It became too annoying. The constant Sarah Palin bashing and the overall liberal BS was not fun. The laughs didn't outweigh Letterman's liberal political crap.

I don't expect Jimmy Fallon to routinely take his show in an obnoxious political direction. I don't get the impression that he wants to be divisive and irritate some in his audience. I think he genuinely wants his show to be enjoyable and make people happy, not offend them.

In the past, in spite of my political disagreements with Maddow, I still enjoyed watching her demonstrate how to mix a new drink. Not this time. Her little stunt with the Wisconsin gin was a cheap, sleazy shot.

She just couldn't manage to be pleasant and apolitical for a couple of minutes. Too bad.

__________________

Here's video of the interview portion of Maddow's appearance:

Rachel Maddow, Part 1

Rachel Maddow, Part 2

No comments: