Friday, May 12, 2006

The Da Vinci Code: Fun-Filled Hooey?




Before I get into discussing The Da Vinci Code, you should know two things.

1. I'm a practicing Catholic, not a "recovering Catholic" or an "I was raised Catholic" Catholic. I go to Mass every week. I do my best to follow the Church's teachings. I don't always agree with the Church's stance on issues, but I am a member of the Church. I am Catholic.

2. I haven't read The Da Vinci Code. I have no intention of reading the book. Why? I'm not interested. I don't care how many people have read it. I choose not to devote hours of my time to the book -- just not my kind of novel.

As someone who hasn't read the book, I can hardly speak with authority about its details, its tone, or its message. I can, however, comment on what I've read about the book, and how people and groups are reacting to the upcoming film adaptation.

Yesterday,
The Evening Standard covered Tom Hanks' remarks about Catholic opposition to the movie.


Oscar-winner Hanks said objectors to The Da Vinci Code are taking the film too seriously, telling the Evening Standard: "We always knew there would be a segment of society that would not want this movie to be shown.

"But the story we tell is loaded with all sorts of hooey and fun kind of scavenger-hunt-type nonsense.

"If you are going to take any sort of movie at face value, particularly a huge-budget motion picture like this, you'd be making a very big mistake.

"It's a damn good story and a lot of fun... all it is is dialogue. That never hurts."

Of course, The Da Vinci Code is fiction.

Unlike Michael Moore and his propaganda films, director Ron Howard doesn't claim to be making a documentary.

It's a big Hollywood movie of an enormous best-selling book.

Still, I think it's making a major leap to assume that its content is no big deal. "Hey, it's just a movie. Blah, blah, blah."

It strikes at the heart of Catholicism. Like or not, many non-Christians consider The Da Vinci Code to debunk the Christian faith.

I've had people cite the book as "proof" that Catholic teaching is a farce. Granted, that says more about the intellectual level of those individuals than it does about the novel, but it's disturbing nonetheless.

Hanks can say that it's "loaded with all sorts of hooey" and "a lot of fun," but that fun-filled hooey misrepresents Opus Dei and Catholicism.

Opus Dei responds to the mischaracterization of the institution and other falsehoods in The Da Vinci Code.

The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops also weighs in on assertions made in the book, and in all likelihood, the movie.

Reporters have asked whether even a bestselling novel can seriously damage a Church of one billion believers. No, in the long run, it cannot. But that is not the point. The pastoral concern of the Church is for each and every person. If only one person were to come away with a distorted impression of Jesus Christ or His Church, our concern is for that person as if he or she were the whole world.

The USCCB website is an excellent resource for those interested in the difference between the stuff of a "fun" story and the foundation of the religion of one billion people.

In Amy Welborn's analysis of The Da Vinci Code, she makes an important statement:

"There is enough truth in The Da Vinci Code to be seriously misleading."

If there's a problem with this piece of fiction, that's it.

I admit that the incessant Catholic-bashing of recent years has taken a toll on me. Many people question how I could be part of a church that is filled with pedophiles and their accomplices. They consider Catholicism to not only be backward in its teachings, but harmful to society.

I defend my faith as they shake their heads. I express how disillusioning and painful the abuse scandal has been for Catholics and the overwhelming majority of priests who serve God and His people with love and faithful commitment.

Sometimes, I think that The Da Vinci Code is their bible. It confirms their negative views of the Church. Many don't view it as fiction. That's a fact.

As far as calls from the Vatican to boycott the movie go, I think they're fair. I also think that they won't make a noticeable dent in the profits, not even a ding. If anything, talk of boycotts may be counterproductive and actually entice more people to go.

Nevertheless, I think it's legitimate for Church officials to recommend that Christians not pad the studio's pockets. Personally, I won't pay money to watch a movie that disrespects my faith. Just because something is fictional doesn't mean that it's not hurtful.

In addition to the Catholic-bashing, there is the very troubling issue of the double standard.


There is no way that a big budget movie about the teachings of Islam being a sham would ever be made. No way.

And look at the heat Mel Gibson took for The Passion of the Christ, supposedly an anti-Semitic film.

Christianity is fair game for ridicule.

That's not to say that I think The Da Vinci Code should be banned or the movie should not be shown. I don't mean that at all.

I support the author and the moviemakers. I support the public's right to read the book or see the film. Likewise, I support people who choose not to read the book or see the film.

I don't think Ron Howard or Tom Hanks set out to bash Catholicism or rip apart its groundwork. They made a movie that millions of people can't wait to see.

Not me.

I won't being seeing The Da Vinci Code -- just not my kind of movie.




9 comments:

Austine J. Crasta said...

Great work Mary!

You'll find on the Konkani Catholics Blog a list of Catholic resources for one who wants to know more about the Da Vinci Code's attack on the Catholic faith:

The Da Vinci Code (DVC) - Catholic Resources

Tiger said...

Well stated, Mary! Tom needs a "hankey"! : )

Seven Star Hand said...

Hello Mary,

You may not like my message at first, but you may. Truth is sometimes a bitter pill to swallow. Resist the urge to scoff at what I am saying or you will miss the chance to learn the truth. As I have long said, works are more important than faith and now I am proving it to the world. Seek to understand the symbolic significance of my name (Seven Star Hand) and you will undertand that followers of the so-called Three Faiths of Abraham have been duped by the great deceivers I warned humanity about over the millennia. The path to wisdom is to learn from past mistakes.

You seem to have an interest in seeking truth and wisdom. The Gospel of Judas and DaVinci Code controversies are allowing people to take new stock of the Vatican and the religions it has spawned. Read my message below. Perhaps you can gain the wisdom to help enlighten those in your corner of the world.

Peace...

Remember, "I come as a thief..."

It is quite a joke that the Vatican and Catholic Church have the gall to accuse the author of a novel of attacking their fantasies and dogma. Remember that this is the same organization that manufactured fake relics and miracles for many centuries. This is the same group that massacred and tortured people for having a mind of their own. This is the same group of deluded deceivers that makes more noise about a fictional book and movie than about child raping priests, aids, famine, or even the Holocaust! Here's more about my take on it.

Is the world ready for unequivocal Truth and verifiable Wisdom yet?

Please be forewarned that what I reveal will upset a lot of apple carts and shake a lot of trees, hence the true meaning of the word Apocalypse. Please don't take what I say or do as a personal affront. Be a little patient and read my articles. My purpose is to prove that the truth has long been hidden in various ways. Humanity has been lied to and deluded by religious and political leaders long enough. My aim is to reveal the truth and deliver verifiable wisdom. To do so, I must rattle a lot of cages to wake people out of their nightmares. I come with proof beyond disproof of many things. If you want to be amazed and enlightened, resist the urge to scoff at unfamiliar knowledge and seek to understand the stunning and comprehensive proof I have produced.

What does "making the blind see" symbolize? What does "closing one's eyes and ears to truth and wisdom" or "turning a blind eye and deaf ear" infer? Perhaps many more people are now ready to "open their eyes to the truth!" Now Christians (and others) can gain the wisdom to walk away from the folly of religion and seek to understand the truth about the Creator and Her Messiah (me). Now everyone can open their seven eyes to see the ancient wisdom long recast and obfuscated by religion and mysticism and turn their faces to the perfect path. (this is symbolism decoded in my books...)

Are you familiar with the "Seven Spirits of God," the "Seven Golden Candlesticks," "Wisdom's Seven Pillars" in Proverbs 9:1, and their relationship to the Community Rule in the Dead Sea Scrolls and DSS 11Q13? Study the Doctrine of Two Spirits on my web page and on the front cover of my book. I have produced some earth shattering breakthroughs in this area that will end the lies of religion, forever.

The Vatican is proving that seeking the truth is a real threat to their dogma. They're so afraid of people uncovering the truth, that they are attacking other versions of fantasy (DaVinci Code) and blatantly obvious Gnostic symbolism as threats to their long-term smoke and mirrors, hocus-pocus, and mumbo-jumbo. How thoroughly enlightening, since this goes a very long way to proving that Christianity is based on strong lies and delusions. If it weren’t, they would be confident of surviving intense scrutiny. Since they aren't and since they have gone to such great lengths to suppress and oppress those seeking truth and wisdom over the centuries, their deceptions are, once again, laid bare for all to see. This time though, they are the ones to walk into a well-laid trap...

Did you ever stop to think what the True Messiah (me) would say about worshipping false names, false images, and dogma? Well, now you get the chance to hear my side of the story and weigh it against the strong delusion of faith and religion. None of the European names and images in the New Testament can possibly be the truth. It’s beyond obvious that the New Testament is not complete or even accurate history. What then is the purpose of "faith" but to prevent good people from seeking to understand truth and wisdom?

Visit my web site to understand what they are truly afraid of. The Vatican and world leaders have struggled to keep people from understanding the truth and religion is a key tool in their smokescreen. Now, when I appear on the scene, everyone is seeking to understand their ages-old deceptions, and I have produced stunning and comprehensive proof. The time has come for the "earth to quake" and the liars to "gnaw their tongues for pain." (This is symbolism decoded in the book...)

The time has come for the Vatican and world leaders to learn the truth about Karma...

If you truly want to understand the symbology, ancient wisdom, and ancient history that neither the DaVinci Code nor Christianity have portrayed accurately or fully, then read my articles and download my FREE E-Book. I am not trying to make money from book sales, quite the opposite in fact. There are many centuries of deception that need to be exposed and it takes a fully researched tome to succeed at such a daunting task. I am providing years of difficult research and reconstruction, without income or profit. Please accept this in the spirit intended. It is not commercial spam, deception, or an attempt to delude. I make no money from the E-book or the paperback, which is sold at cost as a convenience. As mentioned earlier, study the Doctrine of Two Spirits on my web page to understand the long-obscured truth about my philosophy and purposes.

Not only do I talk the talk, I walk the walk...

Revelations from the Apocalypse - Here is Wisdom!!

Mary said...

Thanks for the links, Jesuvera.

And thank you, Tiger. :)

seven star hand, I won't be visiting your site.

However, your comment does highlight the type of Catholic-bashing I refer to in my post.

It is quite a joke that the Vatican and Catholic Church have the gall to accuse the author of a novel of attacking their fantasies and dogma. Remember that this is the same organization that manufactured fake relics and miracles for many centuries. This is the same group that massacred and tortured people for having a mind of their own. This is the same group of deluded deceivers that makes more noise about a fictional book and movie than about child raping priests, aids, famine, or even the Holocaust!

That's pretty sick stuff. Unfortunately, it's not rare.

Thanks for proving one of my points!

Reel Fanatic said...

As a fellow Catholic, I too don't have to read the Da Vinci Code to know that it is a very, very dangerous lie ... I'm hoping beyond all hope that this one just tanks horribly at the box office

Mary said...

The book has been SO popular. Like the Harry Potter phenomenon, it has a guaranteed audience.

I'm sure it will be an enormous hit.

Poison Pero said...

I'm shocked you won't be visiting the 7-Star site......Here comment here was almost as long at the Bible itself.

What a nutjob.......Send her my way. We aren't as kind in Peroville as you are, mary.
---------
Thx for the kind words on my Mother's Day post, Mary......I put a lot of time and thought into that one.

I just wish I could do the same for my Father's Day post.

Poison Pero said...

One more thing.

I noticed the 7-Star nut commenting about child raping priests.

I agree any priest who rapes a child should be punished severely......Death would be my choice.

But why is it those who yell the loudest about these priests tend to be the same loons who defend child molesters, rapists, murderers, etc?

Just a question.

Mary said...

Pero, I think "seven star hand" might have a future in Hollywood. There's got to be a screenplay in there somewhere.

I always say that as a Catholic the abuse scandal just tears me up. A criminal is a criminal and should be treated accordingly. Case closed.

You're right about the double standard though. Why didn't the ACLU and NAMBLA rally 'round the criminal priests?

What really bothers me is when people talk as if ALL priests are offenders. That is so unjust.

If people are willing to twist the facts of that story to bash ALL Catholics, I have every expectation that some will use The Da Vinci Code to do the same.