Sunday, November 12, 2006

Feingold's Withdrawal



Just as politicians are jockeying for position to become the Dems' 2008 presidential nominee, Russ Feingold has decided to withdraw.

Smart move.



Washington -- Sen. Russ Feingold will not seek his party's presidential nomination in 2008, the Wisconsin Democrat told the Journal Sentinel on Saturday.

"I never got to that point where I'd rather be running around the country, running for president, than being a senator from Wisconsin," Feingold said in a phone interview from Madison.

Huh?

You mean all those trips that Feingold made to Iowa, New Hampshire, etc. weren't any fun?



Feingold, 53, conceded that he faced long odds of winning the nomination.

"It would have required the craziest combination of things in the history of American politics to make it work," he said.

But Feingold said waging an underdog campaign appealed to him. What didn't appeal to him, he said, was "the way in which this effort would dismantle both my professional life (in the Senate) and my personal life. I'm very happy right now."

At least Feingold wasn't completely crazy. He was sane enough to admit that he didn't stand a chance of winning his party's nomination for the top spot.

But I think there's more to his announcement than he's letting on.

I think there's a method in his madness.



Feingold had been publicly weighing a presidential bid since early 2005, forming a political action committee, traveling to key states such as New Hampshire and Iowa, and cultivating a more national constituency as an early and outspoken opponent of the Iraq war, the Patriot Act and other Bush administration policies.

The senator said Saturday that he went into that process with more of a predisposition against running than the other way around. Although Feingold's political activity pointed in many ways toward a run, he was not traveling, fund raising or organizing with quite the same intensity as some potential candidates.

"I began with the feeling I didn't really want to do this but was open to the possibility that getting around the country would make me want to do it. That never happened," he said.

Yeah, right.

Do you believe that Feingold didn't really want to run?

Do you believe that bachelor Feingold wasn't fantasizing about putting down roots in the Oval Office?

I don't.



"People have always portrayed me as ambitious. I'm not ashamed of that.

"But I have never had a craving to be president of the United States. I used to say it when I was 5 or 7 years old. But I haven't really been saying it as an adult," said Feingold, who said he didn't rule out running in the future.

WHAT?

Check out the transcripts of his Meet the Press appearances.

Of course he had a craving to be president.



...Feingold confronted obvious obstacles. The potential field includes New York Sen. Hillary Clinton - the financial and political colossus in the party - former vice presidential candidate John Edwards and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, who has rapidly emerged as the Democrats' most celebrated political "fresh face."

Yes, the Obama factor most likely played a major role in his decision. He had to know that his presidential dreams were officially dashed. It wasn't going to happen.


...Feingold said winning the party nomination would have been "very difficult," but he viewed himself as someone who could win a general election and his decision wasn't based on who else might run.

"This may sound immodest, but I thought, 'I can do this. I can be the candidate, that rational, effective, presentable candidate for Democrats that would not be threatening, yet very progressive,' " Feingold said.

Feingold is flip-flopping.

He just said he never had a craving to be president, yet he viewed himself as the man and believed in his potential as a viable candidate.

That's strange for someone not interested in pursuing the presidency.


Why would he even think about his qualifications if he didn't have some desire to run?


...Asked about the Democratic field, Feingold made it clear he preferred a nominee who shared his views on the war.

"The first choice would be somebody who voted against this unfortunate Iraq war. That may not be available," said Feingold, who was the only Senate Democrat considering a run who voted against authorizing the use of force in Iraq.

"Second choice is somebody who at least said it was a bad idea. . . . I would be happy if Obama or (Al) Gore ran," said Feingold, who said he was not offering an endorsement.

Clinton, the presumed party front-runner, voted in 2002 to authorize force in Iraq. "Those who were there and came to the judgment the Iraq war was a good idea have to answer for some concerns I have about their judgment. That was a really bad judgment. I'm prepared to support a Democrat who voted for that war, but I think the American people would prefer a president who had the judgment to see it was not a good idea," he said.

Feingold sent an e-mail to supporters Saturday night announcing his decision.

Read Feingold's letter explaining his decision to withdraw.

Feingold is a shrewd politician.

I think he knows that he can't compete with the big names. Although Feingold has received a lot of attention, he never got the cover TIME or the coronation that Obama has been getting.

I think Feingold has determined that his best move is to escape from the bloodbath that the Dem primaries are guaranteed to be.


First, he doesn't have the money to compete. Second, and more importantly, I think he wants to stay out of the fray and keep his hands clean.

I wouldn't be surprised if his plan is to sit on the sidelines and hope to be tapped later for the number two spot on the ticket.

I think Feingold's withdrawal signals that he's moving into the role of the vice presidential candidate in waiting.


At the very least, I'm sure he hopes to be on the short list.



_____________________________

From WisPolitics: Listen to Feingold Press Conference in Racine

3 comments:

Dad29 said...

The HRC slime machine would KILL Russ.

Poison Pero said...

He knows a good thing when he sees it, and Russ knows he's looking at Ted Kennedy type tenure if he stays in the Senate.

Running for the Presidency is too brutal, even if he were to win the nomination......Which he wouldn't.

Mary said...

I don't buy Feingold's "I never really wanted to be president" act.

Hopefully, the Republican Party of Wisconsin will get its act together and put up a viable candidate against Feingold in '10.

I'm stuck with Kohl and Feingold as my senators for the next four years!

That's a depressing thought.