Thursday, May 17, 2007

Fed Up with Favre Drama

He wants to be traded.

No, he doesn't.

He's mad.

No, he's not.

He's not showing up at mandatory minicamp.

Yes, he will be there.

My blood is green and gold. I'm a Brett Favre fan and loyal to the core; but I've had enough of the Green Bay drama.

GREEN BAY -- Another day, another plot twist in the ongoing soap opera, "As Brett Favre Turns."

The Green Bay Packers veteran quarterback has reversed his field and now will attend the team's mandatory, full- squad minicamp after all, according to ESPN.com.

"Brett's going to camp because it's the right thing to do ... he's going up there for his teammates, to check out some of the new guys and he expects to do everything everybody else does," Bus Cook, Favre's agent, told ESPN.

"Nobody from the Packers has ever threatened a fine or told him he needed to get his butt up there - knowing Brett, that would probably have an opposite effect," Cook said. "He did say last weekend that he wasn't going but said he got to thinking about it and, again, he felt that getting to minicamp was just the right thing to do."

Favre had told his friend and unofficial spokesman, Al Jones of the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun Herald, that he would not be attending the minicamp because of his daughter Brittany's upcoming high-school graduation - on May 25.

Packers spokesman Jeff Blumb had said on Tuesday that coach Mike McCarthy would not comment on whether any player had been excused or would be fined for missing the three-day camp, which is the club's only mandatory offseason gathering.

However, Blumb did quote McCarthy as saying Tuesday that, "As far as I'm concerned, this is a mandatory minicamp," which implied that Favre was facing daily fines of $8,000 for not coming.

Yeah, whatever.

Is Ted Thompson the problem?

Were there broken promises that upset Favre?

I don't know, and I don't care.

I'm tired of this. The twists and turns in the story aren't interesting to me. All I hear is whining. I can't stand whining.

Read this
account of the Favre chronicles.

Brett Favre Demands Trade To 1996 Packers

GREEN BAY -— Three-time MVP and undisputed future Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre, disappointed with the Packers' refusal to aggressively pursue receiver Randy Moss and frustrated with his team's apparent indifference to making immediate improvements on offense, is demanding a trade to the team he feels will give him the best shot at winning a last Super Bowl ring before his retirement: the 1996 Green Bay Packers.

"I just don't think this Packer team, and GM Ted Thompson especially, is thinking in terms of winning with me," said Favre, speaking to reporters at his charity golf tournament in Mississippi Sunday. "On the other hand, 1996 Packers GM Ron Wolf is committed to building the team completely around me. I don't think it's out of the question to say that with me behind center, the 1996 Packers are looking at going all the way to the Super Bowl."

Early reports had indicated that Favre was so upset that his team failed to close a draft-day deal for Randy Moss with the Oakland Raiders that his agent called Packers GM Ted Thompson and requested a trade to a team with capable receivers.

"Nothing against Donald [Driver] and Greg [Jennings], but if I can't throw it to Randy Moss, then I want to throw it to Antonio Freeman, Robert Brooks, and Don Beebe," Favre said. "I bet with them, I'd have more of a chance of throwing for, say, 3,899 yards and 39 touchdowns, with maybe as few as 13 interceptions. Who knows? That kind of production could even get me another MVP award, although of course that's much less important than leading the '96 Pack to another Super Bowl victory."

I'm sticking with The Onion for my Packer coverage from now on.

No comments: