Tuesday, June 5, 2007

30 Months for Scooter Libby

Renegade prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald must feel victorious.

He shouldn't.

Scooter Libby being sentenced to 30 months in prison for nothing more than a foggy memory is a dubious victory.


WASHINGTON -- Former White House aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby was sentenced to 2 1/2 years in prison Tuesday for lying and obstructing the CIA leak investigation.

Libby, the former chief of staff to Vice President Dick Cheney, stood calmly before a packed courtroom as a federal judge said the evidence overwhelmingly proved his guilt.

"People who occupy these types of positions, where they have the welfare and security of nation in their hands, have a special obligation to not do anything that might create a problem," U.S. District Judge Reggie B. Walton said.

Libby was convicted in March of lying and obstructing an investigation into the 2003 leak of CIA operative Valerie Plame's identity.

The highest-ranking White House official convicted in a government scandal since the Iran-Contra affair, Libby has steadfastly maintained his innocence.

"It is respectfully my hope that the court will consider, along with the jury verdict, my whole life," Libby said in brief remarks to the judge.

Walton fined Libby $250,000 and placed him on probation for two years following his release from prison. Walton did not immediately address whether Libby could remain free pending appeal.

...Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald called on Libby to serve up to three years in prison.

"We need to make the statement that the truth matters ever so much," Fitzgerald said.

"[T]he truth matters ever so much," according to Fitzgerald.

Yes, it does. That's why Fitzgerald, the Left, and their media mouthpieces bug me ever so much.

This really makes me sick.

There is so much about the Valerie Plame case that is just dripping with sleaze. It's been a witch hunt from the beginning.

Plame's husband Joe Wilson must feel vindicated.

He shouldn't.

He is the definition of a liar, albeit a hero to the Left.

Libby is the definition of a scapegoat. The Left really wanted Karl Rove. They dreamed about getting Dick Cheney. The ultimate fantasy was taking down George Bush. Fitzgerald couldn't touch any of them. The best he could do was charge Libby with a faulty memory.

So what did Fitzgerald's investigation reveal?

We learned definitively that Joe Wilson is a liar, though that's been evident for years.

We learned that Fitzgerald is slimy.

We learned that the media are hopelessly biased against conservatives.

___________________

Here's something worth remembering:

FROM THE WASHINGTON TIMES: In the portions of President Clinton's Jan. 17 deposition that have been made public in the Paula Jones case, his memory failed him 267 times. This is a list of his answers and how many times he gave each one.

I don't remember - 71
I don't know - 62
I'm not sure - 17
I have no idea - 10
I don't believe so - 9
I don't recall - 8
I don't think so - 8
I don't have any specific recollection - 6
I have no recollection - 4
Not to my knowledge - 4
I just don't remember - 4
I don't believe - 4
I have no specific recollection - 3
I might have - 3
I don't have any recollection of that - 2 I don't have a specific memory - 2
I don't have any memory of that - 2
I just can't say - 2
I have no direct knowledge of that - 2
I don't have any idea - 2
Not that I recall - 2
I don't believe I did - 2
I can't remember - 2
I can't say - 2
I do not remember doing so - 2
Not that I remember - 2
I'm not aware - 1
I honestly don't know - 1
I don't believe that I did - 1
I'm fairly sure - 1
I have no other recollection - 1
I'm not positive - 1
I certainly don't think so - 1
I don't really remember - 1
I would have no way of remembering that - 1
That's what I believe happened - 1
To my knowledge, no - 1
To the best of my knowledge - 1
To the best of my memory - 1
I honestly don't recall - 1
I honestly don't remember - 1
That's all I know - 1
I don't have an independent recollection of that - 1
I don't actually have an independent memory of that - 1
As far as I know - 1
I don't believe I ever did that - 1
That's all I know about that - 1
I'm just not sure - 1
Nothing that I remember - 1
I simply don't know - 1
I would have no idea - 1
I don't know anything about that - 1
I don't have any direct knowledge of that - 1
I just don't know - 1
I really don't know - 1
I can't deny that, I just -- I have no memory of that at all - 1

___________________________

The ugly libs at the Democratic Underground must be going nuts without their forum to spew their filth. They picked the wrong day to upgrade their cesspool.



Read some reaction from the "compassionate" liberals commenting at Daily Kos.
_________________________

On ABC News Radio at the 2:00 PM ET break, Cheri Preston said that Libby had been sentenced to 30 YEARS in prison.

A Freudian slip?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

People with "foggy memories" shouldn't be involved with National Security Issues, for one thing.

But he wasn't convicted for a foggy memory. Libby was convicted on 4, count 'em, 2 counts of lying to the FBI and the Grand Jury; and an additional 2 counts were for obstruction of justice. 4 felonies.

If you don't think obstruction of justice isn't a serious crime, especially when committed by a lawyer, such as Libby is (soon to be "was") than you don't believe in the rule of law. You believe in the rule of men.

Goat said...

People with a foggy grasp of facts should not comment and Clinton was convicted and impeached for lying to a grand jury as well. Libby was convicted of misremembering the chronology of a non-crime, he should win his appeals and be pardoned.

Goat said...

Mud Kitty don't you have anything better to do with your life than spam conservative bloggers, like get a life. I feel sorry for you. Go study or develope your own site. You earn no fans here.

Mary said...

Exactly, Goat.

I agree on all counts.