Monday, July 23, 2007

YouTube Dem Debate

I just watched a replay of the super-hyped CNN YouTube Democrat presidential debate.

I was not impressed.

Couple the annoying YouTube question submissions with the canned answers from those annoying candidates and it makes for really irritating viewing.

In a nutshell, it was boring.

Even the moments of what I guess you could call passion from the candidates bored me.

CHARLESTON, S.C. -- Young, Internet-savvy voters challenged Democratic presidential hopefuls on Iraq, the military draft and the candidates' own place in a broken political system, playing starring roles in a provocative, video-driven debate Monday night.

"Wassup?" came the first question, from a voter named Zach, after another, named Chris, opened the CNN-YouTube debate with a barb aimed at the entire eight-candidate field: "Can you as politicians ... actually answer questions rather than beat around the bush?"


The media accounts of the debate are just as annoying as the debate itself.

Actually, I don't think it should be called a debate. It was an interview, a very dull question and answer session.

I don't think the format was provacative at all.

I think it was kind of weird, like a bad joke. It seemed to be Sesame Street paced and geared toward an audience with attention deficit disorder.

I didn't find the little YouTube snips entertaining either.

Moderator Anderson Cooper bugged me, too. "Time. Time. Time."

I know it's tough to get the candidates to shut up once they start talking, and Cooper tried to keep the debate moving. Still, his rapid fire style was very grating.

I am going to go completely nuts by Election Day 2008.

I don't want to hear the candidates speak -- not the Dems and not the Republicans.

Here's the transcript.

Really a waste of time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. I expect these debates to be serious and focused. Some of the video clips were so annoying - especially the guitar guy. And, what's up with CNN and audio problems? It drives me nuts when I can't hear the first few words of the candidates.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for saying how bad it was. This was embarrassing, not just for CNN, but our entire country. A snowman talking about global warming? Come on...

Mary said...

I think the Republicans should boycott the CNN/YouTube debate scheduled for September.

It was so lame.

That upcoming YouTube debate will probably keep Fred Thompson from announcing until it's passed.