Thursday, August 16, 2007

Elvis

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Under a scorching sun at Graceland, his beloved home, fans streamed by Elvis Presley's grave on Thursday, the 30th anniversary of the death of the king of rock `n' roll. It was, for most, a time to remember.

"I can't describe how I feel about him because I've loved him since I was a teenager," said Katie Brown of Crittenden, Ky. "When I would hear him sing, I'd go into like a trance and nothing else around me mattered."

Pat Hillebrand of DuBois, Penn., said her graveside visit with friend Sandy Bartoletti of Saratoga Springs, N.Y., brought back memories of the Elvis concert they attended together in 1957 as 15-year-old schoolmates.

"We rubbed our hands on the stage and I didn't wash my hands for a week," Hillebrand said. "I had gum that I chewed in the air where he breathed and I kept it for like 15 years."

Dozens of large floral displays sent by fans from around the world surrounded a walkway leading to the garden. Teddy bears, single red roses and other small offerings covered the grave.

Presley, who died at Graceland on Aug. 16, 1977, is buried in a small garden beside the famous white-columned house.

Graceland was also swarmed Wednesday by fans who turned out for the annual overnight "candlelight vigil" to the garden. Waiting for it to start, many sat or stood for hours in temperatures that hit 106 degrees.

By the time it began at 9:30 p.m. EST, a tightly packed crowd stretched almost a quarter mile, filling all five lanes of Elvis Presley Boulevard in front of Graceland. By the time it finished, the overnight event drew what was estimated to be record numbers.

This really is incredible.

Elvis' fans are hard-core.


The king is gone but he's not forgotten.


YOU ANGEL YOU

You angel you,
You got me under your wing.
The way you walk and the way you talk,
I feel I could almost sing.

You angel you,
You're as fine as anything's fine.
The way you walk and the way you talk,
It sure plays on my mind.

You know I can't sleep at night for trying,
Never did feel this way before.
I get up at night and walk the floor.
If this is love then gimme more,
And more and more and more and more.

You angel you,
You're as fine as can be.
The way you smile like a sweet baby child,
It just falls all over me.

You know I can't sleep at night for trying.
Never did feel this way before,
Never did get up and walk the floor.
If this is love then gimme more,
And more and more and more.

You angel you,
You got me under your wing.
The way you walk and the way you talk,
It says everything.

2 comments:

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

I forgot to mention: last year, at gymnastics summer camp, I had 2 twins, and one of them was into Elvis. She even had his sneer, down. One of the twins continued with gymnastics into the Fall, while the Elvis fan went into ballet. Sometime during this year, I asked the gymnast twin if her sister was still into Elvis. She said not really, when her sister figured out that he was no longer alive.

They've both been in camp this week, so I'll have to remember to strike up a conversation on Elvis with the "former" fan.

Mary said...

That's cute.

I'm trying to picture a ballerina with the trademark Elvis sneer. :)

You should point out to the "former" fan that thousands and thousands of people all over the world are still Elvis fanatics even though he's no longer alive.

As long as the music lives, so does he.