Saturday, January 5, 2008

Hillary Likable Enough

I don't like Hillary.

Of course, I don't like her lib positions on issues. That's a given.

And as far as her personality goes, I don't find that likable either.

She has bugged me since she said, "I suppose I could have stayed home and baked cookies and had teas, but what I decided to do was to fulfill my profession which I entered before my husband was in public life."

But during tonight's debate on ABC, there was a moment when I actually found her somewhat likable.

It was when Hillary was asked to comment on why people don't like her.

MANCHESTER, N.H. -- Asked what she could say to voters who don't find her likable enough, and seem to like Obama more, Clinton drew laughter. "Well, that hurts my feelings. ... But I'll try to go on."

She said she agreed that Obama was likable, then added, "I don't think I'm that bad."

That drew a wry response from Obama, who said, "You're likable enough, Hillary."

You really had to see this exchange to understand how stupid the question was and what an ass Obama was.

I think Hillary handled the question very well.

What was she supposed to say to someone telling her that people don't like her the way they like Obama?

She was genuinely funny and exhibited some warmth that she usually doesn't project.

Obama, on the other hand, really didn't handle it well. When the camera went to him, he was looking down, looking smug, and looking like a jerk as he snapped, "You're likable enough, Hillary."

There was something very nasty about it. He wasn't gracious. After all, he had just received a compliment. He didn't even smile. I don't know Obama managed to turn "likable enough" into an insult, but he did.

I haven't changed my opinion of Hillary. I still wouldn't say I find her likable.

This debate has changed my opinion of Obama when it comes to his likability.

I used to think he was a pleasant, likable guy.

Now, I'm not so sure.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have to look at it from a practical point of view. He was taking notes/jotting stuff down, and as Hillary dwelled on the fact that "people don't like her," Obama almost came to the rescue, helping the debate move on by his comment (Hillary was funny at the moment when she said "But I think I can move on..." but she kept going on with the sullen face). It's silly to change your view on Obama's likability based on one trivial and truly funny instance.

Anonymous said...

I assure you that Hillary was delighted when Obama chimed in with his very funny comment. That is dry wit, and was the most appropriate kind of thing for him to say in that situation. He took the pressure off of Hillary who had been asked a question which was unanswerable. Not everyone appreciates a dry sense of humor, but contrary to the way you are describing this, Obama showed again that he is a man with a big heart. If you watch the tape, you will see everyone was laughing at Obama's remark. It was very quick, witty and funny and was meant only to help Hillary.

Mary said...

I disagree with both of you.

"anonymous"--

If Obama wanted to come to the rescue, he would have smiled and been more jovial about it. He had the sullen face. Hillary was enjoying the fact that she had the audience laughing. Obviously, she didn't need to be rescued.

I don't mean to give too much weight to this one instance, but I saw a side of Obama that was prickly, not very likable.

Jerome--

I certainly appreciate "dry wit."

My blog, for instance, is very dry.

I stick to my interpretation that Obama was being rather mean and aloof, hardly exhibiting his "big heart."

Hillary had the situation completely under control. She wasn't under pressure or in need of a knight in shining armor to save her.

If Obama felt the need to open his mouth, he should have made a heartfelt comment about how much he truly likes Hillary instead of his odd comment that could so easily be misunderstood.

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

You can rewatch the video at Amy Proctor's. As I commented there,

Well, I will cut her some slack.

Sometimes we forget that these politicians- who we do our best efforts to discredit and malign- are human; that they have feelings like we all do. We do our best efforts to damage them politically, and in the process, attack them personally, as character and political stance are intertwined.

Just this once, I'll cut her some slack.

Mary said...

I do think the strain of the campaign and the agony of defeat is taking a toll on Hillary.