Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Chris Matthews' Thrilled Leg


Chris Matthews has made it well known how he responds emotionally and spiritually to Barack Obama.

As a guest on the January 16 Tonight Show, Matthews spoke of how he falls under Obama's spell when he hears him speak.


MATTHEWS: If you're actually in a room when he gives one of those speeches and you don't cry, you're not an American.

...I know we're supposed to be dispassionate, but I can describe it.

...When you're in a room with the guy, you feel great about this country. You feel like we can make it better. We can transit to something bigger and better.

And the race thing, I know it's always going to be around us, at least it seems that way, but this guy seems like he can... 'cause he's come from a white family and a black family, and he's married to a black woman.

And they're cool people. They are really cool. They're Jack and Jackie Kennedy when you see them together. They are cool. And they're great looking and they're cool, and they're young and they're... Everything seems to be great. I know I'm selling him now. I'm not supposed to sell...

If you're in [a room] with Obama, you feel the spirit moving. Now, I'm selling too much.

Matthews chatted about some other things with Jay Leno, but returned to his infatuation with Obama.
MATTHEWS: The fact is I wouldn't be an honest reporter if I didn't tell you what the spiritual experience is like of being at a Barack Obama rally. And, it's just an honest statement.

That's extreme.

I thought Matthews was over the top with those comments.

He managed to top himself yesterday during MSNBC's coverage of the Potomac Primary. He told a national, albeit small, television audience about his physical reaction to Obama.

From NewsBusters:

CHRIS MATTHEWS: I have to tell you, you know, it's part of reporting this case, this election, the feeling most people get when they hear Barack Obama's speech. My, I felt this thrill going up my leg. I mean, I don't have that too often.

OLBERMANN: Steady.

MATTHEWS: No, seriously. It's a dramatic event. He speaks about America in a way that has nothing to do with politics. It has to do with the feeling we have about our country. And that is an objective assessment.

"Thrill going up my leg" -- That's weird even for Matthews.

I wonder how his leg feels when he hears Hillary speak.

No comments: