Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Super Delegate Jason Rae: I Want to Talk to You


UPDATE: Jason Rae Backs Obama
_______________



Jason Rae, this is your 15 minutes!

From the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

With Democrats Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton locked in a delegate-by-delegate battle, there are many scenarios developing for how the party's presidential nomination will be decided.

Here is one that just a few weeks ago was unfathomable: It could all come down to the preference of Jason Rae, a Marquette University student who has never even voted in a presidential election.

Or Melissa Schroeder, a party activist from Wausau.

Or Awais Khaleel, a student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

The three, all members of the Democratic National Committee, are among 796 "super delegates," a bloc of political free agents who will make up nearly 20% of all the voting delegates at the party's August convention. More than half of them have endorsed candidates, but many have yet to decide.

...Some DNC members, such as Rae, are still a bit surprised when folks like former President Bill Clinton and 2004 nominee John Kerry call to chat.

Bill called last Friday, just as Rae was headed to dinner with friends, hoping he'd back Hillary. When John called, suggesting Obama, Rae was driving to the grocery store with a friend.

"I said, 'Hi, Senator Kerry, how are you?' " said Rae, noting his friend "looked at me, like, 'Are you for real?' "

Yes. And for real when former (and possibly future) first daughter Chelsea called. And former Secretary of State Madeline Albright. Both were backing Clinton.

"It's not a huge deal on campus," said Rae, active in student government. "I'm just a normal student like everyone else. In my private life, I'm a super delegate."

...Rae, for his part, says he has not decided whom to endorse, or whether he will endorse at all. In fact, he's not sure whom he'll vote for Feb. 19.

...[W]hen Albright called Rae, she was well-briefed: She knew he was a Marquette student, that he was elected to the national committee at age 17. He was the youngest member of the group then, and likely still is.

Rae turned 18 just weeks after the November 2004 election. His first presidential vote will be Feb. 19.

...He got to meet Clinton and Obama last year, with a handful of other super delegates, at a national party meeting.

"I really like the qualifications of both," Rae said. "I think that's one of the reasons we're seeing, especially in Super Tuesday, it be so close."

That's wild!

I can't imagine having Bill Clinton, Madeleine Albright, or John Kerry call me up to chat. I don't think I could ever get accustomed to that.

I did get a robocall from John McCain in 2006. It was so lame. On the recording, he said something like, "Hi, this is John McCain. Sorry about leaving a recorded message but...."

Right, like he would have actually been on the other end of the line if I had answered the phone.

Marquette student Jason Rae seems to be pretty much taking his super status in stride.

Yesterday, Rae had breakfast with Chelsea Clinton at UWM.

From ABC News:

Jason Rae is a typical junior in college.

He spends several hours a day in class at Marquette University in Wisconsin where he is majoring in history and political science. He is closely following the Marquette basketball team and has the Golden Eagles' schedule memorized.

But not many 21-year-olds start their Monday with a personal breakfast with Chelsea Clinton, as Rae did this morning at the student union at the nearby University of Milwaukee.

...Rae said he and Chelsea Clinton talked about electability and mobilizing young people to get involved in politics. He said she spoke about what states her mother can carry in the general election and what demographics favor her candidacy. The two talked about how the campaign's operations were going in the states and what she is seeing on the ground.

The breakfast lasted about 30 minutes. Rae said he had to hustle back to campus and get to his afternoon classes.

...Despite the star power lighting up his cell phone, Rae told ABC News that he has no plans to endorse before the Wisconsin primary Feb. 19.

Former President Clinton called Rae on his cell phone, Jan. 25, the night before the South Carolina primary.

Rae was about to head out to dinner with friends when his phone rang and the screen said, "Number withheld." The voice on the other end said: "Please hold for the former president" and then a familiar voice said "Hey Jason, it's Bill here."

"I started to think, is this real? I am a junior in college and Bill Clinton is talking to me?" Rae said as he recalled the phone call.

Clinton talked about Hillary Clinton's electability and gave Rae an update on how things were looking on the ground in South Carolina. He then regaled Rae with stories about his travels to Wisconsin as president and the cities he visited during that time.

Rae received a call from Kerry, Feb. 1, the Friday before the critical Super Tuesday showdown. Kerry, too, talked about electability and also asked Rae about college life in general and even the weather.

Rae said he is getting a steady stream of calls from campaign staff and surrogates, including Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., and Wisconsin Lt. Gov. Barbara Lawton on behalf of the Clinton campaign.

I'd like to call Rae, too.

Why is it that your average Wisconsin citizen doesn't have access to the super delegates and their cell phone numbers? If these personal phone numbers are readily available, I'm not aware of it.

Do you have to be a former president or a failed presidential candidate to get Rae on the phone?

That's so elitist.

I wonder how David Shuster feels about the Hillary campaign pimping out Madeleine Albright. But I digress.

I really would like to talk to Rae.



Hey Jason, it's Mary here.

So, is it cold enough for you? Heh, heh, heh.

How are classes going? You're a junior, right?

That's great. Good for you.

You have a double major, history and political science, yes?

Marquette has a great poli sci department.

Speaking of politics, I'd like you to consider voting for Hillary. I'm much more comfortable with her than I am with her opponent. You know, experience is so important. I think she has what it takes to be president. I really do.

Hey, and uh, Go Warriors! I mean, Go Golden Eagles!

Ring out ahoya with an MU rah rah! Vote Hillary!

6 comments:

John Smart said...

Sorry that you're so bitter, Mary. It's such a waste of time.

Actually, Jason Rae is a friend of mine, he's a bright and delightful young man and he is ever so accessible - as are all of Wisconsin's "super delegates." I regularly communicate with several of them. These folks make a point of staying in touch with us, the citizenry, so that they can represent us faithfully, and I appreciate their efforts.

It's sad that you're a red sensibility caught, seemingly against your will, in a blue state, but don't let it make you disagreeable.

Mary said...

What are you talking about?

I don't get where you find bitterness in my post.

I sincerely think it's incredible that Jason Rae is getting calls from the politically powerful and famous.

I'm not dissing Rae at all. If that was your impression, then I wasn't clear in my post. I'm glad that via Rae Marquette is getting some national attention.

Yes, I joke about a former president calling up Rae and talking like they're best buds. I kid about Kerry chatting with him about the weather. I know it's part of the process. I'm just kidding.

I really do want Rae to vote for Hillary. I honestly think she would make a better president than Obama. I would like to talk to him. Perhaps you could help me out.

And you shouldn't think it's "sad" that I live in Wisconsin. I'm not here against my will, though I do wonder about my choice during winters like this one.

Anonymous said...

I also know Jason. Not as well as most but I do know his family. I went to school with him for a year, then he graduated. His Mom, is actually my mom's boss.

Any woo, I feel Jason held his own as he was interviewed today. Trying to sway him to either side could ultimately push him a way from the candidate your are trying to push for. As a super delagate, he has two votes. One as a Normal Voter, and one as a super-delagate, like he mentioned on MSNBC.

Which basically means he could side with you on Hilary, Mary was a normal voter. However, when it comes to his vote as a super-delagate, it will be what he truely believes as a person in his place. He was always highly informed and active in school, and I have full trust in him.

I would say Barack is on a roll, and ultimately has the edge in the race. If it does come down to the highly acclaimed "Super Delegates" and Hilary is put in would you feel right? A majority put Barack as their canidate, and a few measly "Super Delegates" Over rode Millions of voters? He already has a big lead in delegates, and is on a major roll. Is it fair for him to lose on a technicality?

(FYI, at this point, I also am not commited to anyone. I think both candidates have a very good chance of beating Mccain.)

And about winter comment, totally right, its freezing. (*Laughing*) You want to talk to Jason? You can always drive down to marquette seeing as you don't have phone contact with him :D.

Mary said...

It seems like Jason has managed all the attention from the media extremely well, not to mention the calls from a former president, a secretary of state, and a senator. I'm sure he will use his vote as a super delegate wisely.

I can't imagine super delegates taking away the nomination from the candidate winning the most delegates from primary elections and caucuses. I don't think that would go over too well with the public, and it would probably leave the Dem Party in shambles.

There's no question that Hillary is the underdog now. The race has flipped. Now, it's Obama's to lose.

I think I'll leave the schmoozing to the professionals. Bill Clinton can do the talking and Chelsea can handle the breakfast dates.

I'll cast my own vote. That will be enough. I hope there are no snow storms or -30 wind chills to contend with next Tuesday. :)

Anonymous said...

how is this turd a superdelegate? why the hell does the democratic party let celine dion fans decide the fate of their presidential nominees?

this is why i'll never be a democrat... i might not like the republicans, but at least they don't have some 20 year old douche making their decisions...

Mary said...

Anonymous, what's your problem?

Super delegate envy?