Friday, April 25, 2008

Whoopi Goldberg Explains Being "Very White"

From Say Anything:



Whoopi Goldberg tells Elisabeth Hasselbeck that she isn't capable of understanding why blacks are voting for Barack Obama solely because of his skin color.

The problem: Hasselbeck is white.

HASSELBECK: I'm not against the idea [of a black being elected president]. I'm against the idea of not looking beyond the things which have prevented them from being in office. We need to step away from that a little bit and look at the entire picture. That's all I'm saying.

GOLDBERG: That's a very... and I say this with a huge amount of love... it's a very white way to look at it.

HASSELBECK: What do you mean?

GOLDBERG: I'm saying this with love so understand.

HASSELBECK: Let me take off my white goggles.

GOLDBERG: But you can't. That's what I'm trying to explain. This for us is total... It's not an experience I can explain to you. I can't explain why black folks are saying, "Oh my God."

I think Goldberg..., and I say this with a huge amount of love... That's a very black way to look at it.

If it's racist for whites to vote for a candidate based solely on that individual's skin color, then it's also racist for blacks to vote for a candidate for that reason.

There is an obvious double standard at play. It comes up again and again.

Whites are racist when they don't vote for Obama; but blacks inexplicably aren't labeled racist when they overwhelmingly vote for him instead of Hillary Clinton.

We each have one vote. We can use it any way we'd like. We can vote for a candidate for any reason.

When blacks vote for Obama only because of his blackness, it's racist. It's their choice. They can choose to vote in a racist manner, but it is racist.

His supporters and Obama himself insist that his campaign has generated such excitement because he transcends race.

That's not true. Obama is not really trascendent at all.

Whatever is politically expedient for him is what goes. Obama is definitely politics as usual. Change? I don't see any change.

Actually, the candidacies of Obama, Hillary, and John McCain reflect some steps backward for the nation if people are voting based on the candidates skin tone.

No comments: