Saturday, May 17, 2008

Scott Walker for Governor

From the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker said today he is considering a 2010 bid for governor, but downplayed the notion that any such campaign is imminent.

..."I've not been shy about the fact we need a new governor," Walker said in an interview this morning. "I think the governor, particularly when it comes to the economy, has a lot of failed programs and broken promises."

He added: "There's no doubt in our mind, as much good as I can do for the people of my county, I could do even more if I could put the state back to work again."

Walker is attending the state Republican Party convention, where he has received a prominent role. He spoke this morning at the party's prayer breakfast. He will speak to the full convention later this morning, the only local official to get such a role.

Walker said he has no timetable to decide, but noted: "Decisions like this won't officially happen until after the (fall) election cycle."

I would imagine if Barack Obama wins in November (God help us!) then it's possible that Jim Doyle might be heading to Washington.

If that happens, I would bet on Walker running for governor.

In the event that Doyle remains in Wisconsin and runs for another term, I hope Walker challenges him.

I think Walker would be a terrific governor.

No comments: