Tuesday, May 27, 2008

True Confessions: Voting for Hillary

I would never vote for someone based on something as superficial as race, religion, or gender.

The candidate's qualifications, experience, and character matter to me.

Although I voted for Hillary in the Wisconsin primary, come November, I knew I would never vote for her to be the next president.

It was clear that John McCain was the Republican's choice, so I used my vote to help determine the Dem nominee. I wasn't playing games. I really do think Hillary would make a better president than Barack Obama. My conscience was clear when I voted for her.

Both are liberal but Obama is more liberal. Both are incredibly short on experience but Obama has less experience. Both have serious character issues but Obama... Ok, that one is a tossup.

Anyway, even though it was just a primary, I did enjoy making my chip in what Hillary calls the "highest glass ceiling."

There, I said it.

I think it's unlikely, but if Obama would choose Hillary to be his running mate, there is absolutely no way that I would vote for them.

No chance. No way.

For all its historical significance, I wouldn't vote for that ticket. I think an Obama victory, with or without Hillary as VP, would be a disaster for the country. I fear such an administration would rival the damage done during the Jimmy Carter era. We can't afford such incompetence.

Still, generally speaking, I'm glad that the American people are willing to support an African-American or a woman to be president. The ceilings of the past have given way to the sky.

That's good.

On a side note, when it comes to John McCain, I am sick of all the unabashed ageism being tossed around.

Racism and sexism have no place in the election. So why is ageism acceptable?

The Dem presidential campaigns, Dem elected officials, the lib media, and the late night comedians don't hesitate to mock McCain's age.

Shame on those using such discriminatory tactics to discredit John McCain.

No comments: