Friday, July 11, 2008

BRETT FAVRE ASKS TO BE RELEASED

SAY IT AIN'T SO, BRETT!

Newsradio 620 WTMJ is reporting that Brett Favre has officially asked for his release from the Green Bay Packers.

ESPN reports:

HATTIESBURG, Miss -- Three days after a conference call with Green Bay Packers team officials on Tuesday in which quarterback Brett Favre emphatically expressed his desire to play in 2008, Favre on Friday formally asked for his contractual release from the Packers in a letter, sources close to Favre and the team said.

The letter was sent by Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, via overnight mail on Thursday and arrived at the Packers facility Friday morning.

Cook, on behalf of Favre, expressed a desire to have an amicable parting, as the Packers have been reluctant to embrace his return. Favre announced his retirement in early March.

It's likely that Brett will be playing for another team this season.

I feared this was coming, but I hoped it wouldn't happen.

This really sucks.

Sign with the Bears or the Vikings, Brett.

Stick the knife in and twist it.

You said you didn't want to play anymore. The preparation, watching all the film, was getting to be too much of a pain.

I feel like such a shmuck for believing that.

Favre has put the Packers and the fans in a terrible, terrible position.

I wonder how that primetime ceremony retiring Favre's number is going to go. I think it might be just a bit awkward, just a little bit.

I am pissed, royally.




I think some redecorating needs to be done in the atrium at Lambeau.

"Thanks 4 the memories"?

The good times are getting more blurry with each passing moment.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brett has turned into a whining crybaby the last few years with his dragging out his decision to come back, then whining that the bosses don't respect me, and then the "my heart isn't in it" saga. Now he pulls this crap! I would put him on the roster as BACKUP to Rodgers unless I could get a excellent trade for him for a team in another division. I was a Favre fan but he has worn out his welcome with this latest prima donna fiasco. My opinion is that he's not all that good anymore. Last year McCarthy controlled him and he looked good, but the year before he was rotten...and that's what he will give to a poor team. He has to be the hero and win the game all by himself, and instead he throws interceptions and loses the game...all by himself. We don't need him anymore!

Mary said...

I just wonder what the truth is.

Was Favre pushed off the team?

That's what Favre's surrogates want us to believe, that he wasn't given the respect he deserved.

Don't blame Brett.

I don't know what to believe. I just know that the thought of seeing Favre as quarterback for a team other than the Packers makes me want to puke.

The Game said...

Hi...just wanted to let you know I still check out your blog...hope you and your readers still do the same at mine...
In regards to Brett...
The Packers wasted his talent since about 1999 and have surrounded him with very average WR's and an average team. He should be pissed about that.
However, the Packers are tired of him thinking about retiring every year, and they are moving on...
Brett will be traded to a team the Packers do not play, unless they both make it to the play-offs...and I don't think the Packers or any team the Packers send Brett off to will be making the playoffs.

USMC 9971 said...

The Packers planned their draft strategy around not having Favre. The Packers planned their offense around Aaron Rodgers and not having Farve. Now Farve is itchy, though, and the Packers should rearrange the whole organization for him? What happens at the end of this season, then? Will good ol' Brett kind-of-sort-of-maybe-not-making-any-promises-but-I-probably-really-might-mean-it-this-time retire? If he wants to scratch his itch, make it uncomfortable for him.

If Farve sends in his intention to play, I would do one of three things: 1) sit him on the bench behind Rodgers, 2) trade him for someone who will provide a lasting contribution to the Packers organization, or 3) trade him to poor team with a significantly different offense. Number two would be the best bet for the Packers; numbers one and three are just my vindictive side coming through.

Jimi5150 said...

I think it's as simple as this . . . The Packers gave Brett opportunities to change his mind about retirement but he didn't bite at the time. Now he's changed his mind as the season is getting closer. He's likely driving his family mental and they're partly behind his return. Problem is, the Packers don't want him now. As has been mentioned, the Packers have done everything in anticipation of being Brettless. Losing Rogers at this point would be a HUGE loss.

So, what's Brett to do?

I don't doubt Brett is a diva. Not full of himself in the sense that he thinks he's better than everyone else in general . . . but in the football context, yes.

Still, I think he's a bit at a loss. Should he simply not play because the Packers don't want him? His flip flops are worse than Kerry's, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of doubt and wait to hear what he has to say.

Mary said...

I know I'm taking this way too personally, but I'm really disappointed in how Favre handled his "retirement."

What were the Packers supposed to do, given all his flip-flopping?

My hopes that Favre would remain loyal to the Packers and the fans were naive. It's silly of me to feel let down.

Football is a business.