Thursday, July 3, 2008

Brett Favre's Itch

I was at Lambeau this past Sunday, having lunch at Curly's Pub.

A huge banner honoring Brett Favre hangs in the atrium. It says, "Thanks 4 the memories."

It gave me kind of a sick feeling. It was creepy. I had this hollow feeling. It solidified the reality for me that the Favre era is really over. I was thinking how strange it will be to not see Favre out on the field. He was ALWAYS there, every single game. But no more. Get used to it.

Then yesterday comes news of the itch.

From the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:


As of Wednesday night, there was only one public comment from Brett Favre, in a text message to his friend and Biloxi Sun Herald sports reporter, Al Jones.

"It's all rumor."

But what a huge rumor it is.

On Wednesday afternoon, ESPN.com reported that Favre had the "itch" to be back on the field for training camp to play for an 18th NFL season. It is a dramatic turnaround for the 38-year-old Favre, who announced on March 4 that he would retire after 16 years as the Green Bay Packers quarterback.

The ESPN story was written by Chris Mortensen, the same reporter who broke the retirement news in March after he received a voice mail directly from Favre, who said he was mentally tired.

This time, Mortensen's story cites anonymous sources as confirmation of Favre's change of heart and says Favre expressed his wishes to come back to Packers coach Mike McCarthy, more than likely after the team's last minicamp practice on June 19. But, according to an ESPN source, the Packers would be reluctant to open the door for Favre because "Brett retired for the right reasons, even though I know his family is tugging on him (to play)."

A team spokesman said Wednesday: "The Packers have no reaction." Most of Lambeau Field's front office was deserted, from president Mark Murphy to general manager Ted Thompson to McCarthy. All were on vacation and could not be reached for comment.

But Favre's family did speak out Wednesday to Milwaukee TV stations, revealing one new development and reinforcing a long-held sentiment: first, that Favre is working out, and second, that he might not have felt welcomed anymore by Thompson.

Favre's brother, Scott, told WTMJ-TV that Favre was working out and that the odds were fair for Favre's return.

"I think it's 50-50," Scott Favre said. "There's no doubt he can play. He's in good shape, he's working out, we know he can still play, he's healthy, so, if he did, it wouldn't surprise me."

Favre's mother, Bonita, told WITI-TV that Favre felt Thompson was less than enthusiastic about keeping him around for another year, something Favre's inner circle has expressed for some time.

"He's felt like that for the last couple of years, that the Packers didn't really want him back," said Bonita Favre. "But nothing's been said. You know it's just been bits and pieces throughout the last couple of years, things that would come up, and it just didn't seem like they went out of their way to keep him. It was kind of like, 'You're done.' "

...As [former Packers general manager Ron] Wolf said, it should be interesting. The Packers had planned to carve out Favre's locker and send it to him as a gesture of thanks right around this time, but there's no word if they actually have. One thing is clear. The door on whether Favre could return to the field in 2008 has been kicked wide open.

"I know he has the itch to come back and play," cornerback Al Harris told ESPN's "NFL Live." Harris said. "If he will or not, I don't know."

Of course, Favre would have the itch to play another season.

After all these years, his internal clock must be telling him it's time to play.

I'm not surprised by his itch. I think he'll always have that itch to some degree.

Old players never die, they just itch.

I am surprised with the reports that Favre approached Coach Mike McCarthy about making a comeback.

When he held his retirement press conference, Favre said:


"I know I can play, but I don't think I want to. And that's what it comes down to."

"I will wonder if I made the wrong decision."

"I just don't think I can give anything else."

That's how I feel, like "I just don't think I can give anything else."

I am spent.

I'm tired of hearing people dissect the whispers and the rumors. I don't want all the debate over Favre's future to begin again. I don't want to watch the media whip into a frenzy because there's word that Favre is itchy.

And we only get about five words on the matter from Favre himself.

If it's all rumor, then why are his family members fueling it?


One thing is loud and clear: Favre felt unwanted by the Packers organization. That's terribly unfortunate. When things come to end, you want it to be amicable.

The past 12 or so hours puts Favre's retirement press conference in a new context. It seems the reason Favre said he didn't want to play anymore wasn't because he didn't want to play. He felt he wasn't wanted.

If Favre does want to return to football, I wish he'd just do it. Let the first and final story be that Favre is coming back. Enough with the speculation.

I would like to know what
Aaron Rodgers is thinking right now.

"I don't feel I need to sell myself to fans. They need to get on board now or keep their mouths shut."

Rodgers certainly isn't getting his wish when it comes to fans keeping their mouths shut, not even close.

I'll borrow some of the words Favre used in March at his retirement press conference:


I know I can join the discussion on Favre's future in the NFL, but I don't think I want to. And that's what it comes down to.

I will wonder if I made the wrong decision.

I just don't think I can give anything else.


Bottom line: If Favre returns to the NFL and plays for a team other than the Packers, it will break my heart.

I suppose those plans to retire Favre's jersey at the season opener against the Vikings on a Monday night nationally televised game might be a little awkward, especially if Number 4 is anchoring another team.

It's the stuff of nightmares.

I want to put this all aside. I have more pressing things to think about, like fireworks, and parades, and hot dogs, and ice cream cups with wooden paddle spoons.

I'm concerned with my own itches. They are mosquito-related.

No comments: