Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ned Yost: "That's my style"

Ned Yost is going out with class.

This is how to do it.

From the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

Yost said he didn't agree with the decision but said he had no bitterness. And he wished Sveum and the Brewers well over the next 12 games.

"If anybody thinks I have sour grapes and don't want to them to win and go to the playoffs, they're crazy," said Yost. "I'll be rooting for them all the way."

As for the choice of Sveum, Yost said, "He's as good a baseball coach as anybody I've ever met in my life. Those players trust him. Dale is a real calming influence, a steady guy. I don't think they could have picked a better person to finish out the next 12 games."

Yost admitted he might have been loyal to players who didn't always produce for him but said "that's my style." He also admitted it was "a trend" that the team faded at the end both last year and this year and said he would do some soul-searching about it.

Yost said he expected to manage again. He said he didn't agree with the decision but "I respect Doug Melvin's decision." He declined to say if he thought it was Melvin's call or Attanasio's call to fire him.

Asked in retrospect what he might have done differently, Yost said, "I've given it all I've got. I've got nothing left."

If you blame Yost for the Brewers late season slide, you have to credit Yost for the team's tremendous success as well.

He's a class act.

No comments: