Friday, October 17, 2008

Joe Biden and Jay Leno


(Screen grab/ NBC)


Joe Biden was Jay Leno's guest on Thursday's Tonight Show.

Apparently because John McCain was David Letterman's guest, the Obama campaign arranged for some counterprogramming on NBC.

Leno was not kind to John McCain, although Leno claimed that he wasn't taking sides. Sure, Jay. We can tell you're not playing favorites.


During the interview Leno referred to Sen. McCain as "McCain." He called Sen. Obama "Barack."

Transcript excerpt


JAY LENO: Let me ask you. McCain has been here many times in the last 10 or 15 years, and you know him very well. I saw last night odd facial expressions I have never seen before. (Laughter) No, I'm not being a wise guy. I mean, it just... I mean, it seemed different. Did he seem different to you? You've know him a long time.

JOE BIDEN: I think John's, um, look...the uh... I don't think John's comfortable with the negative stuff and the advertising that his campaign uses. And I think John is really sort of... He seems a little more angry than he usually is. I really do like John and we do go back a long way, but I don't know, John doesn't seem comfortable right now.

LENO: This Joe the Plumber guy... You know, I don't know.

BIDEN: I didn't have many of those plumbers in my neighborhood.

LENO: Yeah. I think more people are afraid of plumbers than terrorists actually when you think about it. I mean, if you have a plumber coming up it's 'Oh, my God, how much is this gonna cost?' With the terrorist, 'Well, no. You can't come in,' because you don't have to let the terrorist in. You have to let the plumber in. It just seems awful covenient and all that. I'm just a little suspicious, but that's me. You know, worried about taxes. Does it seem real? Does it seem like a real...?

BIDEN: Well, let me put it this way. I don't know, in the neighborhood I grew up in, and even in the neighborhood I live in now, which is a really nice neighborhood, I don't know many plumbers who are makin' $250,000 a year worried about it. We're kinda worried about, you know, Joe the fireman, Joe the policeman, Joe the real plumber with a license.

LENO: That's right. Exactly.

Biden needles Joe the plumber. Ooooh. He doesn't have a license.

I thought Biden was the champion of the working man. Guess not.

He comes off like a world class hypocrite.


And Leno, taking sides?

Nooo, of course not. Why would anyone think that? How could anyone get that idea?

Video.



__________________

Full Transcript

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BIDEN: I didn't have many of those plumbers in my neighborhood.

Translation: I am a rich elitist and ordinary vagrants like Joe can't even get past the security gate in my neighborhood much less afford to live there.