Saturday, November 8, 2008

Diantha Harris

Here is North Carolina fifth grade teacher Diantha Harris at work last May:



Michelle Malkin has an update.

ASHEVILLE -- The Cumberland County school system is investigating the actions of a former Asheville teacher criticized for “belittling” a student who voiced support for presidential candidate John McCain.

But the parents of that student, and the student herself, said Friday that teacher Diantha Harris did nothing wrong.

“She is usually messing around,” said Cathy Thompson, who was in Harris’ fifth-grade class in May when a Swedish film crew visited for a documentary on American politics. “When she said that, I knew she was messing around.”

What Harris said sparked the ire of conservative bloggers this week after a clip of her from the film “From Bill to Barack” made its way to YouTube. The film aired Monday on Finland’s Swedish language Channel 5.

“Oh Lord, John McCain,” she says in the film when one child voices support for the Republican nominee. “Oh Jesus.”

After a discussion with one student supporting Barack Obama because of his plan to end the war in Iraq, Harris turns to Cathy Thompson and asks her to speak up about her choice because her father is in the military

Cathy is shown biting her lip and looking upset. She remained silent.

“It's a senseless war,” Harris says in the film. “And by the way, Cathy, the person you are picking for president said that our troops will stay in Iraq for another 100 years if they need to.”

Thompson still didn't respond.

“So that means your daddy is going to be in the military for another hundred years,” she tells the child.

Cumberland County Schools Superintendent William Harrison called the statements inappropriate.

...Cumberland County is home to Fort Bragg and the 82nd Airborne.

Cathy Thompson said Friday she wasn’t upset at the time. Her parents, Angela Moore and Army Staff Sgt. Robert Thompson, also said they weren’t mad at the teacher.

Moore said her daughter never mentioned feeling as if she was being picked on.

“Mrs. Harris is always active with the children like that,” Moore said. “I have sat in her class when my Cathy was a student, and she was very active with the children. She tries to get them involved with everything.”

Robert Thompson said when he first watched the clip Friday, he understood why some would see it as Harris trying to change his daughter’s mind.

But after hearing Harris’ side and talking with his daughter, he now thinks Harris is “getting a rough deal.”

I'm glad that Cathy wasn't upset by Harris' behavior.

However, I don't understand why her parents are OK with it.

In the classroom, Harris said to the little girl, "And by the way, Cathy, the person you are picking for president said that our troops will stay in Iraq for another 100 years if they need to.

"So that means your daddy is going to be in the military for another hundred years."

First of all, Harris was repeating one of Obama's LIES. The press didn't call Obama on his complete distortion of McCain's words. Harris was teaching her class as fact the BS that Obama spewed and the lib media allowed.

Second, how can the parents brush off Harris lying to Cathy and her classmates?

Children in that classroom were told by Harris that Cathy's daddy would be in the military for another hundred years!

That's complete garbage.

As it is, the public school system in this country is failing our children.

It's frightening to think of the liberal turn it will take if Obama wants to follow the education agenda of his fellow board member and friend Bill Ayers.

For her part, Harris says the documentary footage of her classroom remarks are taken out of context.

In an interview with WRAL, Cathy Thompson and her parents sit beside Harris as she explains that she wasn't "browbeating" her student.

Video.

Harris says she does have one regret.

HARRIS: Now I did say one thing on the video that I wish that I could take back. But I've said it. I cannot take it back and I know that. But I have apologized to the parents for it. And that was when I said to Cathy, 'That, uh, so Cathy that means your father could stay in the military for a hundred years.' And I was wrong for saying that. And I was truly wrong for saying it. I would do nothing on this earth to hurt this child. Nothing.

Harris began to cry.
HARRIS: I don't want people lying on me and I don't want my character tarnished as a teacher. I do a good job and I know I do. And I teach all students wherever I am... I do my very best. And I teach all students and I give them whatever I have every day, 100 percent.

In effect, she says she is the victim of someone unfairly editing the video. She also is upset that people are bombarding the schools with angry calls and calling her home.

When Harris again expresses her regret over the "hundred years" comment, Cathy's mother, Angela Moore, is very supportive of Harris.

MOORE: But at the same time, that comment is very true, regardless of whether you said it or some else said it. He could be in the military for the next hundred years, and he could be over there in Iraq for the next hundred years. Nobody knows that.

______________

Wait...

In another WRAL interview, Cathy Thompson gives a very different impression about her reaction to Harris' comments. She says she was upset by what happened in the classroom.

CATHY: I was gonna start to cry because I was nervous 'cause I was worried about my dad when he was in Iraq.

She says she was on the verge of tears.

I don't know why that isn't mentioned in the other WRAL report.

Bottom line: No teacher should be pushing his or her political views on students.

As far as the angry callers to the schools and Harris' home, when people voice their concerns about an issue, they should do so respectfully. I especially think it's inappropriate to call and harass Harris at her home.

The power of the Internet allows cases like this one to explode. It's the good, the bad, and the ugly of the Internet.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I certainly agree that way too many people today are willing to fly off the handle and go to extremes in reacting to political or societal issues. I was reading comments posted on another site about this same topic where many "conservatives" were screaming for this woman's head. Two comments in particular were that she needed to "have the s--- beat out of her" and "she should have a tire full of gasoline put around her neck and set on fire". I am assuming these posters were adults. I am a conservative and I feel these types of reactions take us two steps backwards for every step forward.

That said, I do think that what this teacher did and said was very innappropriate in a classroom. She says it was edited. Okay, but one statement she made was "Oh Jesus, John McCain". I'm sorry but just that one remark by itself is innappropriate. It is a definite political statement, and on top of that is language that is way out of place in a fifth grade classroom. Many people in this country still think that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and not an idle remark used to express displeasure at something.

Do I think Ms. Harris should be fired over this? No. Do I think the situation has been way overblown? Yes, but only for little Cathy's sake, Ms. Harris is an adult and can take care of herself. Her statement that she "somewhat disagrees" that as a teacher she must take care not to abuse the influence she has over her students because "they are too young to vote" is just moronic and dangerous. Of course they are too young to vote, and that is mainly because society feels children of that age are too impressionable -- thus the need for teachers to not exercise undue influence.

I don't care how Ms. Harris cares to spin this, the remarks she made were innappropriate and she needs to be disciplined. Not fired, but disciplined.

Rene Benthien said...

I agree with the first comment. Even though I'm an Obama supporter I got pretty angry when I first saw the video. Angry and embarrassed.

People on the left, who are rightfully angry at Intelligent Design being taught in science classes should also be angry at this.

Mary said...

I thought the same thing.

Where's the outcry over Harris saying, "Oh Jesus, John McCain"?

That part is conveniently overlooked.

In any event, people need to get a grip and learn to express their concerns in an appropriate manner, not act like thugs.

Anonymous said...

This is what happens when people allow themselves to *worship* another human being. It's just so much easier than asking yourself the hard questions that precede the hard answers like: No human being can provide you with paradise or even close to it.

That teacher was/is on an emotional roll of adoration that clouds her critical thinking and impairs her social skills, not to mention her teaching manners. She should be disciplined but not fired.

Anonymous said...

As a teacher myself I am appalled by this woman's lack of consideration for her students. What kind of teacher would belittle another student for having a different point of view. While I voted for McCain, none of my students were aware of this. I made a point not to impart my own views on them even as we were researching the candidates. I asked each student to write a short essay on WHY they were choosing their candidate. I had excellent essays written about both candidates and supported by details we researched in class.

There is a right and wrong way to teach and this woman was entirely wrong. I believe she needs to be held accountable for her actions and further educated on the laws governing teachers. I recognize we have a teacher shortage in many states, but to me this is a terminable offense. At a minimum she should be put on leave until she completes some basic education and education law courses.

Alex said...

"HARRIS: I don't want people lying on me..."This is a (supposedly) educated "educator" using ebonics in her classroom to convey the thought: "I don't want people lying about me..."

Anonymous said...

Ha! You find that surprising? You should hear the teacher of the school speak. It is unbelieveable that the Principal of a school cannot differentiate between 'f' and 'th'!