Tuesday, June 30, 2009

John Yarmuth and Michael Jackson

Ed Morrissey, Hot Air, posts that not all Democrats felt good about the moment of silence on the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives for Michael Jackson.

On his KGIL 1260 AM radio show, John Ziegler interviewed Rep. John Yarmuth, DEMOCRAT - Kentucky. Yarmuth was unflinchingly honest.




TRANSCRIPT

JOHN ZIEGLER: On a normal day, would have been considered beyond extraordinary and incredibly outrageous, but because of all the other news, didn't get that much coverage. What were your thoughts when you were on the House floor, the floor of the House of Representatives, and you saw that some of your Democratic colleagues were calling for a moment of silence because of the death of Michael Jackson?

JOHN YARMUTH: Um..., I was close to nauseated by it. I thought it was outrageous. In my two and a half years, we've never done it for anybody else who's a celebrity. We've done it for former members, and that's about it, former members who've passed away. And I, I basically got up and walked back to the cloakroom and got off the floor, because I, I just thought it was totally uncalled for and over the top.

ZIEGLER: And were you alone in that feeling?

YARMUTH: I know the cloakroom was pretty well packed. So, I think there were a lot of people who were disgusted by it.

ZIEGLER: So that's where, that's where people go when they get disgusted by what's happening on the floor, they go to the cloakroom?

YARMUTH: They go there... Well, that's not the only reason they go there. You know, the U.S. Open was on there. We went to watch the U.S. Open, but...

ZIELGER: But this time it was mostly because you were nauseated.

YARMUTH: I think it was people who just thought that it was totally inappropriate and over the top, and didn't want to be associated with it.

ZIEGLER: And that's why we love you, John. You're honest, like me, to a fault, although it's done you a heck of a lot better in your career than mine. And we're glad about that, glad it's working out for somebody.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

While maybe it was inappropriate to asked for a moment of silence for Jackson's passing, it was also
inappropriate for a public figure
to comment so vividly his distaste
in the jester. Who is he to be so
judgemental. When you get down to it, you really know it was mostly about ratings anyway. If it had been Elvis getting this much coverage, I wonder what his comments would be.

Anonymous said...

With what is facing out country now, Rep. Yarmuth's distaste for the overthetop (to point of disrupting Congress) coverage of Michael Jackson's death is justified. This is NOT a race issue, as someone has suggested, this is a "Getting our priorities right!" issue. Political correctness has risen to a dizzying height. I am not a Democrat but I applaud John Yarmuth's stance. I am sick of our country’s idolatry of mere celebrities