Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Favre Unretired Again -- Vikings

On July 31, Jimmy Fallon caught up on writing his thank you notes.



He sent a heartfelt thank-you to Brett Favre.



JIMMY FALLON: Thank you, Brett Favre, for finally announcing this week once and for all that you're retiring for good and will not be playing this season.

We look forward to seeing you play.

Favre's erratic behavior has been a joke for quite a while.

Read Conan O'Brien's response to Favre's July 2009 retirement announcement.

Read David Letterman's
Top Ten List from August 4, 2008. It includes a shot at Favre.

Was there ever any doubt that Favre would play for the Vikings?

On Tuesday July 28, Favre announced that
he would not come out of retirement again.

We all know that Favre doesn't like training camp.

Today, August 18,
Favre will sign with the Vikings.

Whatever.


When it comes to retiring and unretiring, Favre is the Barbra Streisand of the NFL.

I'm a Packers fan first. My loyalty is to my team, not to Favre.


If the Vikings are willing to let Favre selfishly call the shots and act like a prima donna, trotting on to the roster at the last minute, that's their problem.

If Favre is happy because he thinks he finally did stick it to Ted Thompson, then that's pathetic.

Am I glad that he's unretiring again?

No.

Am I disturbed that he'll be playing with the rival Vikings?

No.

I don't care.


Actually, I'm sort of surprised at my reaction to Favre, the Viking. I just don't care. I feel like I should be angry, but I'm not. I should feel betrayed, but I don't. I guess I'm really done with the drama.

My Favre Packers jersey from the Super Bowl championship season is tucked away. It will stay stored with the memories of that great year.

That's the past.

The thing about the past is it's over.
Favre is history.

He spent his best years as a Green Bay Packer. Unfortunately, he's tarnishing that legacy. Vindictiveness isn't becoming.

It is sad that such a glorious era in Packers history didn't have a storybook ending. Oh, well.


As always, I will be cheering for the Packers to trounce the Vikings.

Nothing really has changed, except ticket prices for Packers/Vikings games.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Putting butts in seats, the true NFL game behind the game.

Terrence said...

I hope he has enough to pull out a final Super Bowl like John Elway...

Minnesota Vikings Picks said...

Ive been a die hard packers fan since I was born, and associated the team very much with favre as I grew up. I am still a big packers fan, but strangely I find myself rooting for the vikes over the packers. I feel like I may be selling out, but I feel the packers sold out favre 2 summers ago.

Ann Cook said...

I hope Favre steps it up this season and does well for his team.