Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Barbara Lawton Affair Rumor

Dirty politics is nothing new.

I don't know why Barbara Lawton is the target of a rumor, given the fact that she already quit the race for governor. Why would political enemies bother with the smear that Lawton had an affair with a woman?

From Jay Sorgi, 620 WTMJ:

The Lieutenant Governor of Wisconsin is denying rumors about an affair, rumours retracted by a radio talk show host from Green Bay.

In a radio interview with WTMJ partner station WIBA Radio in Madison, Lt. Governor Barbara Lawton says that rumors about such an affair are untrue.

"I am incredulous that I am fielding questions about such an outrageous lie," said Lawton in the interview with reporter Robin Colbert.

"It really diminishes the dignity of the office I hold to give credence to such an extraordinary lie. My husband and I both celebrate our 36th anniversary in two weeks. We have had an extraordinary run with two fabulous children who have spouses, and four grandchildren."

I believe Lawton. I don't think she quit the race because of an affair.

I think she quit because the national Dem party made her quit.

That said, plenty of elected officials do act horrified and deny affairs. John Edwards comes to mind, and Bill Clinton.

Being married forever and having children mean nothing. That's irrelevant when it comes to being an adulterer.

I feel sorry for Lawton. First, her dreams of running for governor are dashed. Then, she has to defend her fidelity. It's been a rough few days for her.

Of course, if she's lying, like Edwards did, she's really a loser, like Edwards.

At present, the loser in this story is definitely Jerry Bader, WTAG talk radio host in Green Bay. He gave the rumor traction. He made a fool of himself.

Now, he's recanted.

11:23 AM STATEMENT FROM JERRY BADER CONCERNING THE BARBARA LAWTON STORY:

I HAVE LOST CONFIDENCE IN THE SOURCES THAT PROVIDED INFORMATION YESTERDAY REGARDING LT. GOV BARBARA LAWTON. THEREFORE I CANNOT STAND BY THE STORY POSTED YESTERDAY.

This story is so weird.

It's really irresponsible for Bader to make such accusations without being very confident in his sources. Bader's listeners have to question his credibility overall. How many in his audience have lost confidence in Bader? It was not too bright for Bader to run with that rumor.

I'd like to know who originally put the rumor out there. Was it a trap and Bader took the bait? In any event, Bader thoroughly screwed up.

I think all signs point to pressure from Obama as the reason for Lawton dropping out, but there's another reason that she quit. It has nothing to do with a lesbian affair.

I read somewhere that Lawton said something so explosive that she had to drop out.

Lawton said, "You know who deserves a posthumous Medal of Honor? James Earl Ray [the confessed assassin of Martin Luther King]. We miss you, James. Godspeed."

That deserves repeating. What a racist! This statement should be splashed all over the media.

Wait. Maybe Lawton didn't say that. I'm not really sure.

I guess I can't back that up.

Did Tom Barrett say it?

Yes, I think he said it.

Maybe not. I don't really know.

Never mind.

2 comments:

Todd Lohenry said...

Mary, Jerry is a good guy who made a mistake. He deserves better than what you gave him...

Mary said...

Todd, I don't think I was too harsh.

What did I say about Bader that you found undeserving?