Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Obama, SEIU Chant

Obama is a cheerleader for SEIU, the Service Employees International Union.

Obama says he owes his political career to the union.

His alliance with the union is how he built his political power.

Here's video of Obama addressing union members, January 15, 2008:




OBAMA: Everybody, there's not a presidential candidate, a gubernatorial candidate, a congressional candidate, who won't tell ya that they're pro-union when they're looking for their votes. They'll all say, 'Oh, we love, we love SEIU.'

But the question you gotta ask yourself is: Do they have it in their gut? Do they have a track record of standing alongside you on picket lines? Do they have a track record of going after the companies that aren't letting you organize? Do they have a track record of voting the right way, but also helping you organize to build more and more power?

Some of you know, I come from an organizing background so I know... I've been working with SEIU before I was elected to anything. When I was a community organizer, SEIU local 880 and myself, we organized people to make sure that health care workers had the basic right to organize. We organized voter registration drives. That's how we built political power on the south side of Chicago... And now the time has come for us to do it all across this country... And we are going to paint the nation purple with SEIU.

...

I would not be a United States senator had it not been for the support of your brothers and sisters in Illinois. They supported me early. They supported me often. I've got my purple windbreaker from my campaign in 2004.

...

And so, we've just got what? Four more days? Four more days, four more days of knocking on some doors, four more days of working the precinct, four more days of making sure all your coworkers are caucusing.

...

SEIU, I'm glad you're with me. Let's together change the country. SEIU, SEIU, SEIU, SEIU, SEIU, SEIU....

Candidates and union members who chant together, stay together.

I don't think I've ever heard the Community Organizer in Chief chant, "USA, USA, USA!"

No comments: