Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Adam Lambert - Early Show (Video)



Straight talk from Adam Lambert this morning? Interesting. I don't think he's being honest.

Adam Lambert was dropped from ABC's Good Morning America, but The Early Show on CBS was more than happy to pick him up.

Maggie Rodriguez interviewed Lambert.

From CBS:

Adam Lambert says the firestorm following his sexually-charged performance on Sunday's American Music Awards show took him aback.

He told "Early Show" co-anchor Maggie Rodriguez Wednesday he had "no clue. No clue at all," his appearance would prove as controversial as it has. "I was really looking forward to it. I worked really hard with my dancers and my band for about two weeks putting that together. And, I admit I did get carried away, but I don't see anything wrong with it. I do see how people got offended, and that was not my intention. My intention was just to interpret the lyrics of my song and have a good time up there."

...Lambert told Rodriguez he didn't plan to be so provocative, saying, "Those kind of came from more of an impromptu place. No, those were not rehearsed. So I think ABC was taken a little by surprise. That wasn't my intention. I wasn't being sneaky. It got the most of me, I guess."

He also said he's "not a babysitter, I'm a performer" when asked if he wanted to apologize to parents of any kids who might have been watching. "I think it's up to the parents to discern what their child's watching on television," Lambert said at one point. Later he observed, "I think it's up to a parent to watch the television. It was almost 11:00 at night. If they're concerned with certain material maybe Tivo it and preview it before your small child is watching it."

He added he thinks the reaction to his performance stems from a double-standard against gay males, asserting that, "If it had been a female pop performer ... I don't think there'd be nearly as much of an outrage at all."

...Adam Lambert conceded to Rodriguez, "I suppose I can understand why (parents are) upset. And, honestly, it didn't cross my mind, children. It was almost 11:00. It was a nighttime show. I was there in the audience full of mostly adults. Sometimes, I forget, 'Oh, there's a camera on.' I come from the theater. And I'm programmed to kind of look at who's in the live audience, and that's kind of where I come from. So, I was looking out in the crowd and saw some of my favorite pop stars and thought, 'I want to let loose.' And it just kind of got the best of me. And I had a great time. Unfortunately, there were people upset, but I think there are also people who really enjoyed it. So, like 'Idol,' I guess I have a tendency to divide people -- apples and oranges -- you either like it or you don't."

He concluded the interview by promising parents his performance later in the show would be "appropriate. I promise."

If Lambert really had "no clue" as he claims, then he is remarkably naive.

Lambert is getting exactly what he wanted: A LOT of attention.

What better way than to have a big controversy to launch his new album?

His victim act seems so contrived. I don't know if Lambert really feels victimized but there's no question that he's playing the media like a master.

What a load to suggest that he's being treated differently because he's a gay male!

I saw the performance live on the American Music Awards. I saw Lambert whip the leashes and shove the face of a male dancer down on his knees into his crotch. As far as the kiss goes, I didn't realize that he kissed a male.

My reaction had nothing to do with Lambert's personal sexual orientation.

The male-on-male kiss is irrelevant. The fact that Lambert is gay is irrelevant. It was shocking because it was relentlessly and extremely sexually graphic in nature for network TV AND because of all the kids who witnessed the performance.

It wasn't 11:00 PM in the Central time zone.

Lambert puts the onus on the parents for what their children watch. He's right to a point, but parents likely didn't expect ABC to air something so explicit. TiVo? Give me a break!

It's so silly for Lambert to claim that he got caught up in the moment. "[I]t just kind of got the best of me." Yeah, right. He's a seasoned performer. He knew exactly what he was doing.

Lambert offers no apologies. Fine. He just lost his younger fan base.

I think this whole thing was calculated on Lambert's part. He intentionally kissed his American Idol persona goodbye.


Watch video of the interview.


Watch CBS News Videos Online

No comments: