Sunday, November 22, 2009

Al Gore on SNL (Video)

Al Gore appeared twice on Saturday Night Live to promote his new book.



Gore first played himself in a skit. He was a guest hawking his new book, Our Choice, on the talk show, "What Up With That?"

Gore's acting was not good.


Video.



Gore appeared again just a few minutes later on "Weekend Update," talking to Seth Meyers. In honor of NBC's Green Week, Gore was there to discuss issues facing the environment -- and hawk his book, AGAIN.



Meyers introduced him as "former vice president of the United States and Nobel Peace Prize winner."

Transcript

SETH MEYERS: So to start, how do you feel President Obama has done so far in regards to the environment?

AL GORE: Well Seth, there is a lot on the president's plate right now -- health care, Afghanistan, the economy -- and I understand that it's hard to deal with everything at once. But at the same time, he was elected with an overwhelming mandate. I mean, he won the popular vote, Seth, and we all know that's the one that counts.

MEYERS: He won the other vote, too.

GORE: If you say so. I don't really pay attention to that. I'm a popular vote guy.

MEYERS: I get it. So the environment--

AL GORE: Seth, we are at a critical moment when it comes to the climate crisis. In my new book, Our Choice: A Plan to Solve the Climate Crisis, I detail the ways that we can address the problem. But I also want to have a backup plan in case this approach does not work. And I think I brainstormed some pretty good ideas on the way over tonight.

MEYERS: OK, and so what is your backup plan?

GORE: I'm gonna start acting crazy.

MEYERS: Acting crazy?

GORE: Seth, I think it's crazy that our politicians aren't more worried about the climate crisis. So, it's time for us to out crazy the crazy.

MEYERS: What do you mean?

GORE: Well, for example, instead of just writing a letter to a congressman, I'm gonna fill up a trashcan with ice water and prop it up against his office door so that when he opens it cold water splashes all over him. Then, he'll find the note I left on his desk that says, 'We're melting. Love, The Glaciers.'

MEYERS: I don't know if that's a good idea.

GORE: Maybe I should show before and after pictures of Mount Kilimanjaro, Seth. Oh, that's right. I did that and it didn't work. So instead of science, I'm going with crazy.

I'm going to start planting trees in politicians' front yards.

MEYERS: That actually kind of sounds nice.

GORE: In the middle of the night. And tape toy guns to the branches pointed to the door, so when they wake up and walk out of their houses in the morning, they'll think it's the forest coming to get their revenge.

MEYERS: Wow. This is a new Al Gore.

GORE: Well look, I need to make this count, Seth. I know the score. Once a year during Green Week, NBC calls up Al Gore to come on TV to talk about the environment. Thanks, by the way. I can't tell you how exciting it is to have a bully pulpit on a 4th place network.

MEYERS: We're happy to have you.

GORE: And I come out every year. I'm like Punxsutawney Phil, but do you know what it means when I see my shadow? It means the earth is dying. Have you been outside today? It's 60 degrees in late November. I mean there's a Christmas tree in front of this building and guys are wearing flip-flops. You can't say this isn't real.

MEYERS: Look, I never said this isn't real. I just said you might be taking it too far.

GORE: Well, maybe you're right, Seth. Now that I say them out loud, my crazy ideas do sound a little too crazy. The real solution is simpler than that. We need to cut back on the burning of coal and oil and start using renewable energy. We need to stop deforestation and plant billions of trees. We have to become more efficient and stop wasting so much energy. We need to stop factory farming and start using sustainable agriculture.

MEYERS: And if that doesn't work?

GORE: I'm tapin' toy guns to trees.

There's no question that Gore is crazy.

This was a funny line: "Do you know what it means when I see my shadow? It means the earth is dying."


Video.

1 comment:

Ray said...

That was brutal (on their part, not yours)...Our Founders and SNL's founders both roll in their graves....