Thursday, February 18, 2010

Elton John: Jesus was 'Super-Intelligent Gay Man'

This week's issue of Parade magazine features Elton John.

John remains an outrageous character.

From FOX News:

Elton John gave an interview to Parade magazine in which he described his cocaine use and past treatment of young men, and said he thought that Jesus Christ was a homosexual.

"I think Jesus was a compassionate, super-intelligent gay man who understood human problems," John told the Sunday supplement. "On the cross, he forgave the people who crucified him. Jesus wanted us to be loving and forgiving. I don't know what makes people so cruel. Try being a gay woman in the Middle East -- you're as good as dead."

John is entitled to believe whatever he wants to believe.

I'm interested to know what makes John think that Jesus was gay. Why? Based on what information?

It seems like John wants to get attention. He's made a career out of that. It's also apparent that he knows how to push people's buttons. He wants a reaction.

If people professing to be Christians hurl insults at John and threaten him over his remarks about Jesus, that won't prove that Jesus was gay but it will prove that people are cruel.

The openly gay star, whose duet with Lady Gaga was one of the highlights of this year's Grammy Awards, said he often chose young men to be with in the past, but it never worked out.

"I'd always choose someone younger. I wanted to smother them with love. I'd take them around the world, try to educate them. One after another they got a Cartier watch, a Versace outfit, maybe a sports car," he said. "I did this repeatedly. In six months they were bored and hated my guts because I'd taken their lives and self-worth away. I hadn't intended to."

John is now married to his longtime partner, David Furnish.

John also said his addiction to cocaine had been all consuming. "For some people a gram of cocaine can last a month. Not me," he said. "I have to do the lot, and then I want more. At the end of the day, all it led to was heartache."

John said his experience with drugs is one of the life experiences that led to his current philanthropic efforts.

"I set up my foundation because I wanted to make amends for the years I was a drug addict," hd said. "People with HIV are still stigmatized. The infection rates are going up. People are dying. The political response is appalling. The sadness of it, the waste."

So another celebrity bares his soul, discussing his abuse of drugs as well as people. Another story of self-destructive and selfish behavior by a super-rich star.

Same old, same old.

The "Jesus was a compassionate, super-intelligent gay man" comment is not.

I wonder if John thinks Jesus was a celibate gay man. What was his lifestyle? John should elaborate, especially about how he's come to his conclusions.

__________________

Here are some additional quotes from the Parade article:
Love and drugs.
"Just about every relationship I ever had was involved with drugs. It never works. But I always had to be with someone, good or bad, otherwise I didn't feel fulfilled. I'd lost the plot."

Why fame has lost its appeal.
"Princess Diana, Gianni Versace, John Lennon, Michael Jackson, all dead. Two of them shot outside their houses. None of this would have happened if they hadn't been famous. Fame attracts lunatics. I never had a bodyguard, ever, until Gianni died. I don't like celebrity anymore."

Remembering friends lost.
"Every time I sing 'The Ballad of the Boy in the Red Shoes' onstage, I say that this is a song written about a time when people in America started getting AIDS and your president, Ronald Reagan, did nothing about it. I get boos. There's a lot of hate in the world."

Finding new relationships.
"In 1993 I went back to my house in Windsor for a while. I wanted meet new people so I rang up a friend in London and said, 'Could you please rattle some new people together for dinner here Saturday?'"

An instant connection.
"I was attracted to David immediately. He was very well dressed, very shy. The next night we had dinner. After it, we consummated our relationship. We fell in love very quickly."

Keeping the love alive.
"Every Saturday for 16 years, we've sent each other a card, no matter where we are in the world, to say how much we love each other."

Communication is key.
"We've never been jealous. We talk about the sexual side of things, things that normally would have frightened me before."

John is quick to slam Ronald Reagan about AIDS.

Does John praise George W. Bush for doing more about the AIDS crisis and poverty in Africa than any other American president?

I doubt it.

1 comment:

jaygank said...

Where, why, what for and how come do you get this idea that Jesus is a "homosexual" as stated by someone you mentioned in an interview?