Saturday, September 18, 2010

Ken Kratz Statement - Video, Transcript

On Friday afternoon, Ken Kratz, the district attorney of Calumet County, read a prepared statement in response to the revelation that he sent text messages that were sexual in nature to Stephanie Van Groll, a domestic abuse victim. When Kratz made those advances last year, he was prosecuting Van Groll's ex-boyfriend, Shannon Konitzer, for nearly choking her to death.

Read the text messages.

Here's the video of Kratz's statement, from WLUK.




Transcript

KEN KRATZ: Good afternoon. I'd like to make a public statement at this time. I will not be entertaining any questions at the conclusion of this prepared statement.

As you know, during late October of 2009, I had engaged in an exchange of text messages with a domestic abuse victim whose ex-boyfriend was being prosecuted by our office. I had asked the young woman if she'd be interested in a personal relationship after the conclusion of the case.

My behavior was inappropriate. I'm embarrassed and ashamed for the choices that I made, and the fault was mine alone. This is about my behavior and not anybody else's behavior. I've been a prosecutor for 25 years and, as most of you are aware, have been a zealous advocate for the rights of crime victims during that entire time.

This behavior showed a lack of respect not only for my position but for the young woman that was involved.

Protecting the rights of crime victims has been my life's work. I intend to continue to serve as the Calumet County District Attorney, as I have been elected to do.

Although this incident came at a time that was difficult for me and my wife, I also have demonstrated a lack of respect for her and offer a personal apology for the substantial stress that she and, in fact, my entire family have had to endure over the last several days.

Any kind of suggestive electronic communication, even in a personal nature, demonstrates arrogance and a lack of respect. After considering my selfishness and my arrogance in contacting this young woman, I immediately engaged in individual psychotherapy to address these issues. I have today decided to seek additional help in addressing these issues, and may consider personal time off as my duties here in Calumet County and as the court calendar may allow.

I hope to regain the trust of the crime victims community, the trust of my staff, and the respect of the citizens of Calumet County.

Once again, I'd like to offer my sincere and heartfelt apology, not only to the young woman that was involved but to everybody who has been so deeply affected by this lack of judgment.

I'd like to thank you all for coming this afternoon. As I've indicated with my apologies, I won't be accepting any questions at this time.

You knew that was coming. Therapy! Yeah, that's the ticket!

Kratz is a victim. He "immediately" went into "individual psychotherapy" upon recognizing his arrogance and selfishness. Now, he's going to get more therapy.

The poor man needs help. Pity him. Feel sorry for him as he struggles with his problems.

No need for him to resign as district attorney of Calumet County. He just needs a little time in rehabilitation, maybe a little time off. Give him a break. Poor guy.

It seems that Kratz is following the same formula that so many public figures caught behaving badly use. There's the public mea culpa and the announcement that the offender is seeking therapy.

Kratz is attempting to weasel out of his personal responsibility through the medicalization of his terrible judgment and unprofessional behavior. Is there a doctor in the house to heal Kratz?

Given Kratz's position as the county's district attorney, I don't think the therapy route is enough to make this all go away. It's inadequate, especially when taking into account Kratz's efforts to keep the story from going public and his misrepresentation of what actually happened. That was bad judgment on top of bad judgment on top of bad judgment.

I don't think Kratz can be effective as the D.A.

He should resign, and end this now.

That would be in everyone's best interests, including his own.

__________________

UPDATE, September 20, 2010: Kratz takes medical leave; Length of leave is undetermined
__________________

UPDATE, September 20, 2010: Doyle ready to begin removal process against DA
__________________

UPDATE, September 21, 2010: Woman claims Kratz harassed her as she sought pardon
__________________

UPDATE, September 21, 2010: Two more women step forward, accuse Kratz
__________________

UPDATE, September 23, 2010: Kenosha County DA encouraged woman to go public with Kratz allegation
__________________

UPDATE, September 25, 2010: Fifth woman has complaint about DA
__________________

UPDATE, September 29, 2010: Embattled DA wasn't candid in statements, board says

No comments: