Friday, October 15, 2010

Wanda Sykes and Jay Leno, October 14, 2010

Wanda Sykes was Jay Leno's guest on Thursday's Tonight Show.

In the past, Sykes has talked politics but she also spends time doing other material. This time, however, it was often just a Republican bash-fest.

Sykes appears on Leno's show relatively frequently so it was odd that she mentioned Leno's American flag lapel pin. Leno has been wearing that pin since 9/11. Obviously, Sykes has seen him wear it countless times, but she decided to make fun of him anyway. As soon as she sat down, she mentioned the pin.


Transcript

WANDA SYKES: You got a flag pin on. You running for office or something? What's going on?

JAY LENO: This has been on for 10 years. I get more grief from this. I get more grief.

SYKES: (Begins to sing) 'I'm proud to be an American...'

LENO: No, actually, I'll make you feel embarrassed. Because my brother's a veteran, that's why I wear it.

SYKES: That's great.

LENO: See, he passed away. So now you feel terrible.

SYKES: I didn't kill him. Why would I feel bad? I'm sorry you lost your brother but...

LENO: People assume if you wear this, 'Oh, you're a Republican.' No, I just got a flag.

SYKES: No, you know, come on, I'm just teasing...

LENO: I'm not a Republican. I'm just teasing you.

SYKES: My dad's a, my brother, they're both retired Army.

So Leno gets a lot of grief for wearing an American flag lapel pin.

I suppose that wouldn't go over too well in Hollywood. Still, I think it's pretty weird that anyone, viewers or guests, would complain about his pin.

It's the American flag and this is America. What's wrong with displaying patriotism? How pathetic that it's considered inappropriate among Hollywood liberals and those of their ilk!

It's not as if Leno had to set the record straight and declare he's not a Republican. Clearly, Leno is a lib. He used to keep his personal political views more under wraps, but lately he's quit trying to appear neutral politically. He's out now as a dyed-in-the-wool typical Hollywood lib.

The way Leno said that he's not a Republican sounded like he was saying he's not a witch, defending himself against a slur.

It's disgusting that Leno gets grief from anyone for wearing an American flag lapel pin.

He shouldn't feel the need to go on the record denying that he's a Republican, nor should he feel compelled to explain his reasons for the pin on his lapel. Is the peer pressure to march in lockstep with Obama and his liberal agenda that intense in Hollywood?

Since Obama became president, he wears an American flag lapel pin. Does that anger his supporters? Do they give Obama grief?

Very strange.

Leno asked Sykes for her thoughts about Obama and how he's handling the economy.

SYKES: I think he's doing a good job. I'm not going to apologize. I think he's doing a great job.

At that, Leno applauds along with the audience.
SYKES: There is so much crap that Bush left behind. It's like you smell it all the time. I open my 401(k).

(Acts as if holding a paper and smelling it)

SYKES: Oh, that's still Bush. Yeah, that's Bush.


Video: Wanda Sykes, Part 1



Sykes really became vicious when she commented on Meg Whitman.
SYKES: And I'm sorry. Meg Whitman, she's a billionaire. She spent, what? $130,000,000?

LENO: $140,000,000.

SYKES: Well, I don't know about him calling her a whore, but she sounds like she's more the john, how much she's paying to get this office.

And here's the thing, Jay. I've got to say this. You know what? It's nothing about her policies or anything because I don't know what her policies are, because I can't get past her teeth. What is going on? Did you watch the debate? It's like she still has her baby teeth at the bottom. And I'm like, how do spend all this money on a campaign and you can't fix your grill? I'm like, I'm sorry. How are you going to fix California when you can't fix your teeth? I mean, the only office she should be spending money for is the dentist's office, that's the only place. You know she don't give a damn about infrastructure if she can't...

(Motions to her mouth)

If this is nothing, infrastructure means nothing to her.

Are such cruel personal attacks supposed to be entertaining? Leno seemed to think so.

The meanness continued when Leno asked Sykes about the senate race in Delaware.

LENO: Have you been following in Delaware, you're on the East coast all the time, this Christine O'Donnell. We got the whore on the West coast. We got the witch on the East coast. What do you make of that?

Brutal.

Video: Wanda Sykes, Part 2

No comments: