Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Feingold Concession Speech (Video, Transcript)

Did Russ Feingold just declare his candidacy for president in 2012?

I thought Feingold quoting Bob Dylan's "Mississippi" was a little weird.

But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who've sailed with me

I don't buy that Feingold's heart is light and free.

He looked very tense. The forced smiles weren't convincing.

Feingold's going to keep fighting. That much we know.

When he shouted as he wound down his concession speech, I feared a Howard Dean moment was coming.





Thankfully, Russ maintained control.

Goodbye, Russ.

Allow me to quote Bob Dylan:
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

My heart is light and free.

I'm elated.

_________________

Here's video of Feingold's concession speech:



Transcript
RUSS FEINGOLD: Thank you, my friends. Thank you. Thank you very much. Thank you. Thank you, everybody. My friends, my friends, the people of Wisconsin have spoken, and I respect their decision.

I've called Ron Johnson, and congratulated him, and wished him, wished him well as our senator. And I also offered my help and the help of my staff in any transition.

Well, being your senator, being your senator has been the greatest honor of my life. I've enjoyed working with you and feel that we did many good things together, and I thank Wisconsin for this great privilege I have received.

Now, it's hard, it is hard to, it is hard... You are good fans.

And that, that is why, that is why it is hard to express my gratitude for the support I have received throughout my career. But it begins with my wonderful family and certain very dear ones. Yes, let's applaud for them. And then, it goes to my superb federal staff who have helped so many Wisconsin families. And then, to the incredibly hardworking and enthusiastic campaign staff. You did all you could do and more. Thank you for a wonderful effort in this campaign. And of course, to all my supporters over the years. No one has ever had such a strong foundation. It gave me my backbone. You gave me my backbone.

So, so, so, to all of you, in the words of who else, Bob Dylan: "But my heart is not weary, it's light and free, and I've got nothing but affection for those who have sailed with me."

I hope, I hope and I intend to continue to work with all of you in the future as much as possible.

So, it's on to the next fight. It's on to the next battle. It's on to 2012. And, and it is on to our next adventure. Forward!

2012?

Should we expect Russ to start hanging around Iowa again?

___________________

UPDATE, November 4, 2010: On Twitter, Feingold's staff is talking about the "next fight."
STAFF Video of Russ's Election Night remarks: On to the next fight. http://bit.ly/aZRUMl

This is the first tweet from Feingold since 10:15 PM on Election Night.
STAFF WisPolitics - Feingold campaign manager: It ain't over http://bit.ly/bkKgg8

Of course, it was very over.

The peope of Wisconsin finally held Feingold accountable for the discrepancy between what he says and what he does - two very different things.

When given the choice between a big government liberal like Feingold and a fiscally responsible conservative like Ron Johnson, they rejected Feingold.

Who knows what Feingold's "next fight" will be?

In terms of the U.S. Senate, Wisconsin voters sent Feingold to "history's unmarked grave of discarded lies."

No comments: