Friday, June 10, 2011

Aaron Rodgers: First Pitch, Miller Park

UPDATE, February 23, 2012: Ryan Braun Wins Appeal, Aaron Rodgers Reacts
_________________

On Thursday afternoon, Aaron Rodgers went to Twitter to share his plans for Thursday evening:

Check me out on the mound tonight @millerpark and also support the crew


From the Associated Press, via the Green Bay Press-Gazette:
Super Bowl MVP Aaron Rodgers threw out the first pitch at Miller Park before the Milwaukee Brewers took on the New York Mets on Thursday night.

The Green Bay Packers quarterback wore a No. 12 Brewers jersey and toss a perfect pitch to good friend, Ryan Braun.

Rodgers declined to speak to reporters, but the Packers will receive their Super Bowl rings in a private ceremony next Thursday.

Although Rodgers didn't talk to reporters, he was in the booth with Bill Schroeder and Brian Anderson.

From OnMilwaukee:

Rodgers declined the opportunity to talk to reporters but did stop by the FS Wisconsin booth in the fourth inning. Brewers play-by-play announcer Brian Anderson asked whether or not Rodgers had any plans to organize team workouts during the ongoing NFL lockout.

"We're going to put something together here because it looks like it's going to go a little bit longer, so it's going to be important for us to get together," Rodgers told Anderson, adding that he would discuss the matter with teammate Charles Woodson at an upcoming charity event.

"If this lockout persists, we're going to get together. Guys have gotten some great work individually, some have gotten together in groups of two or three," Rodgers said. "There's a lot of guys kind of in the same area working out, but at some point we're going to have to get together."

Jason Wilde writes:
His arm looked to be in good shape Thursday night, when he threw a strike to his good friend Ryan Braun, the Brewers’ all-star left fielder.

“I wanted to throw a four-seamer. When I pitched in high school, I threw a two-seamer. But I had a little too much movement,” Rodgers said. “I haven't pitched in forever, and I was super nervous. I didn't want to bounce it to Braun. He said he wasn't wearing a cup.”

Rodgers said he played a lot of baseball as a kid but didn’t play his first three years of high school before returning to the game as a senior.

“I was actually a pretty good pitcher for a while, then took a break my freshman, sophomore and junior year of high school and played football. That didn't work out, so I decided to play baseball my senior year and was a pitcher and a below-average hitter,” Rodgers said. “You never know about these (radar) guns, but I was told that I hit the low 90s, and I like to run with that. In about 10 years, I'll be saying 95.”

Rodgers said he and Braun became friends “a couple years ago” after he came to a game and met Braun.

“I'm a fan of Wisconsin sports. This is home for me nine months out of the year. I pull for the Brewers and Bucks and Marquette basketball and Wisconsin basketball and UWM basketball,” Rodgers said. “So it's been fun to pull for them and get to know Ryan. He's a California guy like myself. We're two weeks apart. He's two weeks older than I am, and we've really become good friends."

I like the loyalty to Wisconsin exhibited by both Rodgers and Braun.

Here's audio of Rodgers in the booth:




He was nervous to throw out the first pitch?

Super Bowl XLV MVP nervous?

Rodgers is so poised that it's hard to imagine him being nervous about anything, but I understand.

Think of Obama's performance on the mound. Disaster.

No comments: