Monday, January 9, 2012

Romney: 'I Like Being Able to Fire People' (Video)

Mitt Romney gave Obama and the Democrats and his Republican presidential primary opponents a sound bite to die for.

MITT ROMNEY: It also means that if you don't like what they do, you can fire them. I like being able to fire people that provide services to me. If, you know, if someone doesn't give me the good service I need, I want to say, you know, that I'm going to get someone else to provide that service to me. So, that's one thing I'd change.

Here's video:



"I LIKE BEING ABLE TO FIRE PEOPLE."

It was a mistake to say that because it allows Romney's challengers to claim he's a rich guy who likes putting people out of work.

That, of course, is not what he said. It's not what he meant.

The context is important. It's disingenuous of Romney's opponents, be they Democrat or Republican, to take his statement out of context. It's sleazy politics.

From Breitbart:

Romney’s comment came in response to a question about health-care policy before more than 300 area business leaders. The former Massachusetts governor was referring to being able to change insurance companies. Before making the “fire people” comment, Romney said: “I want individuals to have their own insurance. That means the insurance company will have an incentive to keep you healthy. It also means that if you don’t like what they do, you could fire them.”

I agree with Romney.

I like being able to fire people that provide services to me.

I've fired lots of people. I've fired doctors and lawyers and roofers and contractors because their service was poor. It was great to have the option to fire these people performing badly. They didn't deliver so I took my business elsewhere.

That's what keeps the free market chugging along. That's how to succeed in business: provide superior services and products people want.

We all have "fired" people when we make our choices as consumers, whether it's related to health care or home improvement or take-out food.

I was so happy when I joined my fellow Wisconsinites to fire the radical Russ Feingold and give the job to Ron Johnson.

I also want to be part of the movement to fire Obama. His service has been terribly inadequate. I'm sure if the president was registered with the Better Business Bureau he'd have tons of unresolved complaints.

Bottom line: Romney gave his critics an unfortunate sound bite, but I agree with his point that being able to fire people is a positive thing for the consumer. Monopolies suck. They can hurt you. The ability to "fire" people is empowering.

1 comment:

TJ Walker said...

Great ad on mocking Romney "I like being able to fire" quote:
http://youtu.be/08jO53eJ5x8