Sunday, April 29, 2012

White House Correspondents’ Dinner (Video)

The Leftists loved Obama's performance at the White House Correspondents' Association dinner last night.

From the New York Times:

President Obama poked fun at himself, Congress, the Secret Service, the media and particularly his rival Mitt Romney on Saturday night, mocking his Republican opponent as a fuddy-duddy rich guy who travels with his dog in a cage strapped to the roof of the family car.

Delivering the traditionally comic remarks at the annual White House Correspondents’ Association dinner, the president seemed to enjoy needling Mr. Romney just days after the general election contest effectively got underway. The highlight was a spoof Romney ad showing the former governor at the door of Air Force One with a dog cage on top of the aircraft.

Families are off limits, Mr. Obama declared. “Dogs, however, are apparently fair game,” he said.

Mr. Obama pointed out that he was speaking in a cavernous hotel ballroom, or “what Mitt Romney would call a little fixer-upper.” He noted that he and Mr. Romney both have degrees from Harvard University, but the Republican has two. “What a snob,” Mr. Obama joked. And he said after his own appearance on Jimmy Fallon’s show this week, Mr. Romney “asked if he could get some equal time on ‘The Merv Griffin Show.’ ”

Appearing before the official entertainer of the evening, Jimmy Kimmel, Mr. Obama also took aim at a couple of other Republican critics. Noting the presence of Newt Gingrich, who plans to drop out of the Republican race next week, Mr. Obama called out, “Newt there’s still time, man!”

And he took aim at Sarah Palin, mocking her famous line from the 2008 convention as well as Republican criticism of him for eating dog meat while a boy in Indonesia. “What’s the difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull?” Mr. Obama asked. “A pit bull is delicious.” (Even Michelle Obama looked askance at that one.)

He took a jab at Congress, thanking lawmakers who “took a break from their exhausting schedule of not passing any laws to be here tonight.” He teased Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, who was photographed dancing and drinking a beer at a club during a visit to Colombia. “She won’t stop drunk-texting me from Cartagena,” the president said.

Hopefully, at the dinner next year, President Romney will get a chance to respond to Obama's attacks.

Here are Obama's 15 funniest jokes, according to Politico:

1. "My mother was born in Kansas, my father was born in Kenya, and I was born, of course, in Hawaii," he said — with a wink.

2. "Now, some have said I blame too many problems on my predecessor, but let’s not forget that’s a practice that was initiated by George W. Bush."

3. "I want to especially thank all the members who took a break from their exhausting schedule of not passing any laws to be here tonight."

4. "Four years ago, I was locked in a brutal primary battle with Hillary Clinton. Four years later, she won't stop drunk-texting me from Cartagena."

5. "Anyway, it’s great to be here this evening in the vast, magnificent Hilton ballroom — or what Mitt Romney would call a little fixer-upper."

6. "Look at this party. We’ve got men in tuxes, women in gowns, fine wine, first-class entertainment. I was just relieved to learn this was not a GSA conference."

7. "The White House Correspondents’ Dinner is known as the prom of Washington D.C. — a term coined by political reporters who clearly never had the chance to go to an actual prom."

8. "Our chaperone for the evening is Jimmy Kimmel, who is perfect for the job since most of tonight’s audience is in his key demographic — people who fall asleep during 'Nightline.'"

9. "Jimmy got his start years ago on 'The Man Show.' In Washington, that’s what we call a congressional hearing on contraception."

10. "I have not seen 'The Hunger Games.' Not enough class warfare for me."

11. On Harvard degrees and Mitt Romney: "I have one, he has two. What a snob."

12. "As my stepfather always told me, 'It's a boy-eat-dog world out there.'"

13. "In my first term, we passed health care reform. In my second term, I guess I'll pass it again."

14. "Recently, [Romney's] campaign criticized me for slow-jamming the news with Jimmy Fallon. In fact, I understand Governor Romney was so incensed he asked his staff if he could get some equal time on 'The Merv Griffin Show.'"

15. "I have a lot more material prepared, but I have to get the Secret Service home in time for their new curfew."

Apparently, Politico didn't care for Obama's joke about eating a pitbull.

Here's video of Obama's performance:




Greg Gutfeld was at the dinner last night.


I believe it.

No comments: