Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Condi Rice and Paul Ryan: PBS

I watched the PBS coverage of the convention. I should have stuck with C-SPAN.

PBS cut out right after the most powerful lines of Condoleezza Rice's speech:

And on a personal note– a little girl grows up in Jim Crow Birmingham – the most segregated big city in America - her parents can’t take her to a movie theater or a restaurant – but they make her believe that even though she can’t have a hamburger at the Woolworth’s lunch counter – she can be President of the United States and she becomes the Secretary of State.

Unbelievable.

I switched channels immediately, but returned to PBS.

And what happens?

During Paul Ryan's speech, when he talked about being separated from Mitt Romney by a generation and the differences in their musical tastes, PBS CUT OUT AGAIN!

What the hell?

I missed:

We’re a full generation apart, Governor Romney and I. And, in some ways, we’re a little different. There are the songs on his iPod, which I’ve heard on the campaign bus and on many hotel elevators. He actually urged me to play some of these songs at campaign rallies. I said, I hope it’s not a deal-breaker Mitt, but my playlist starts with AC/DC, and ends with Zeppelin.

That certainly wasn't the most powerful section of Ryan's speech, but I would have enjoyed hearing it without interruption.

This definitely was not a shining moment for public television.





2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm not sure if it was intentional but when they cut into Paul Ryan's speech from my PBS station it was a clip of Richard Nixon. It cut in right around 11pm est. time.

Mary said...

I'm not suggesting it was intentional, but it was pretty weird and certainly a blackeye for PBS in terms of quality coverage.

The interruption in Ryan's speech happened about 10:05 PM CT or 10:10.

That's what was so weird. It wasn't a top of the hour glitch.