Sunday, September 23, 2012

Favre and Packers: 'The Warming'

Is Brett Favre starting to warm up to the Packers, letting bygones be bygones?

From the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

[T]he former Packers quarterback is sounding more and more open to the idea of reconnecting with his old team. This time, he chats with Mike Tirico on the the Monday Night Football Preview Podcast.

If you haven't heard it yet, it's definitely worth a listen here in full. Favre's portion begins at the 14:30 mark.

Here are a few highlights...

On if he sees the day his number is retired in Green Bay: (laughs) "You know, I'm sure that day's going to happen, Mike. I really haven't thought a whole lot about it. The Packers have had a great success since I left. I'm not surprised by that. A great group of talented players there, led by Aaron (Rodgers) of course. And that organization is really apart from the rest, maybe the Yankees I guess, just in tradition and history. I'm so thankful I was a part of it. I know that day, how it'll unfold, I have no idea when that will happen. I don’t think their side really is thinking about that. They’re trying to get back to the Super Bowl, and really I’ve got my plate full. And I think that’s good for both sides. Not that we don’t need to shake hands and move on. I think in some ways that has happened. But you know, I do see the day. it’s going to happen. When? I have no idea. ...

On if he finds himself rooting for Green Bay, rooting against or is indifferent: "Indifferent, I guess. I can't help but feel a sense of being a part of that. And it's funny, before you called, or a couple days ago when you asked if I could do this, just different times over the last couple days I was just thinking about my career there. ...[Y]ou look at Lambeau Field and what that place has gone and how it's evolved, I can't help but feel a sense of being a part of that. And so even though it's a shame the way things went down, between I and the Packers, as time goes by you just kind of -- it's kind of like a grudge -- you just get over it."

I don't think the issue should be whether Favre is "warming up" to the Packers.

After all the things Favre said and did to undermine the team I find it very difficult to "warm up" to him.

Obviously, the Packers and the fans have moved on and are "over it." The Super Bowl XLV championship and last year's nearly perfect regular season and excitement about the current season make it easy to get over Favre.

I'm certainly not eager to have Favre's number retired, given the way Favre conducted himself during his post-Packers NFL years. There's no warming.

I don't think his hostility and lack of class should be rewarded, at least not in the near future.

I prefer to focus on the present. I don't want to revisit all the Favre mess. Plus, there's still that lawsuit about Favre's texting exploits hanging out there. Favre's disgrace is not in the past at this point.

Retiring Favre's number just isn't a priority right now.

I know Favre is one of the greatest to play the game, but he's not in the same league as Bart Starr or Reggie White.

Favre never seemed to understand that he wasn't bigger than the team. He didn't understand his place the way the other Packers legends did, the greatest among the greats.

Actions have consequences. Favre has to deal with the consequences of his actions.



The question should be: Are the Packers and fans warming up to Favre?

The answer: The tundra is still frozen.








No comments: