Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Ryan Braun: Liar and Cheater

Don't lie to me.

If someone lies to me, I lose respect for the individual. I don't trust the person any longer.

Why would I trust a self-professed untrustworthy person?

For example, on August 8, 2009, Obama reassured Americans:

So, let me explain what reform will mean for you. And let me start by dispelling the outlandish rumors that reform will promote euthanasia, cut Medicaid, or bring about a government takeover of health care. That’s simply not true. This isn’t about putting government in charge of your health insurance; it’s about putting you in charge of your health insurance. Under the reforms we seek, if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. If you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan.
Obama lied. He's a liar. He's a serial liar.

I don't trust him and I don't respect him as a person. I have respect for the office of the presidency, but not for him.

Ryan Braun lied, too. I've lost respect for him as well.

From the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

Major League Baseball has suspended Brewers leftfielder Ryan Braun without pay for the remainder of the 2013 season and he has accepted the penalty, meaning he was caught red-handed either buying and/or using performance-enhancing drugs.

The suspension takes place immediately, so Braun will be suspended for the final 65 games of the season, beginning with the Brewers' game Monday night at Miller Park against San Diego. The sanction came as a result of MLB's investigation into the infamous Biogenesis clinic, which was exposed as having sold PEDs to players after documents were released to various news agencies earlier this year.

The suspension also exposed Braun as a liar because he has stated many times that he never used PEDs and never wavered from that stance. He recently told reporters, "The truth hasn't changed," referring to ongoing speculation that he would be suspended for PED use.

But Braun issued this statement about his suspension: “As I have acknowledged in the past, I am not perfect. I realize now that I have made some mistakes. I am willing to accept the consequences of those actions. This situation has taken a toll on me and my entire family, and it is has been a distraction to my teammates and the Brewers organization. I am very grateful for the support I have received from players, ownership and the fans in Milwaukee and around the country. Finally, I wish to apologize to anyone I may have disappointed – all of the baseball fans especially those in Milwaukee, the great Brewers organization, and my teammates. I am glad to have this matter behind me once and for all, and I cannot wait to get back to the game I love.”

“We commend Ryan Braun for taking responsibility for his past actions,” said Rob Manfred, Executive Vice President, Economics & League Affairs for Major League Baseball. “We all agree that it is in the best interests of the game to resolve this matter. When Ryan returns, we look forward to him making positive contributions to Major League Baseball, both on and off the field.”

Braun's lies were about cheating in baseball. He broke the rules. He played his fans for fools. He accepted our support and thanked us for standing by him while he cheated and lied.

Not cool.

However, Braun's lies don't impact me the way Obama's lies do.

Braun disgraced himself.

Obama is putting people's lives at risk with his ObamaCare lies. Unforgivable.

I can forgive Braun. He'll serve his suspension and we'll move on.


I'll find it much easier to forgive him than Brett Favre. Still not ready to forgive Favre. That is not on the horizon.

About the media coverage of Braun's suspension and fan reaction--

I'm hearing lots of discussion of Braun's real offense being his lying rather than his cheating. The lying-- that's the disappointing thing.

I disagree.

The lying did make things worse, but the cheating is also bad. There is a lot of bad behavior here.

I don't think emphasis should be taken off Braun's cheating. Focus should remain on BOTH his cheating and lying.

No comments: