Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Mom Fires Gun, Follows Biden's Advice

Lakisha Gaither followed Joe Biden's advice. She did what he told her to do.

Granted, she didn't use a shotgun, but she did fire her gun into the air just like he suggested.




JOE BIDEN: Kate, if you want to protect yourself, get a double-barrel shotgun, have the shells, a 12-gauge shotgun. And I promise you, as I told my wife, we live in an area that's wooded and somewhat secluded, I said, 'Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony here or walk out, put that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house.' I promise you who's ever coming in is not gonna.

You don't need an AR-15. It's harder to aim. It's harder to use, and, in fact, you don't need 30 rounds to protect yourself. Buy a shotgun. Buy a shotgun.
Gaither fired her gun into the air once, but she was charged.

From the Washington Times:

A Woodbridge woman was arrested after she shot a handgun into the air to scare off a group of boys who were attacking her daughter.

Lakisha Gaither, 35, said she fired a single round into the sky from her legally registered gun Saturday night after a boy punched her daughter in the face during a dispute near their home.

“I just wanted this group of guys to disperse,” Ms. Gaither said. “I didn’t know what they were going to do. I wanted him to stop hitting my child.”

The shooting occurred at 9:20 p.m. in the 13600 block of Cridercrest Place. After confronting a teenage girl and her mother in the neighborhood over a prior disagreement, Ms. Gaither and her 15-year-old daughter, Brianna Stewart, began walking home. A group of about 10 boys approached them in the parking lot of their apartment complex. One boy began to swear and insult Ms. Gaither and her daughter, who stood up to the boy.

“The two were face to face,” Ms. Gaither said. “He grabs her shirt, she goes to push him off her.”

Ms. Gaither said she realized she’d be putting the both of them at risk if she jumped into the fray.

“I stopped and turned to walk to the middle of the parking lot. I made sure no one was around me,” she said. “I unholstered my gun, pointed it straight in the air and fired just one shot to get him off my child.”

But officers arrested her and charged her with reckless use of a weapon.

Prince William County police spokesman Officer Jonathan L. Perok said Ms. Gaither “should have called police instead of taking matters into her own hands.”

“You can’t fire into the air,” Officer Perok said. “Once something goes up, it comes down. There’s the possibility of causing property damage, injuring someone or killing someone. In an apartment complex, the odds of that bullet coming down and striking something are very high.”
Hmmm. Biden didn't mention there might be consequences if one fires a gun as a warning.

Gaither should contact Biden. Maybe he can speak in her defense.