Monday, January 20, 2014

MLK Day

Today, we celebrate the life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.





Text of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech, August 28, 1963, Lincoln Memorial, Washington, D.C.

If Dr. King were still alive, he'd be 85. I wonder how  he would react to the playing of the race card, and the ridiculous, unfounded charges of racism so unfairly applied, and the ever-growing list of allegedly racial "code words."

Would he condemn that behavior?

I hope so.

Would he engage in it?

I hope not.

I like to think that Dr. King would not be an advocate of the soft bigotry of low expectations.

I like to think that he would not approve of the culture of dependency.

I like to think that Dr. King would encourage freedom, personal responsibility, and opportunities to determine one's lot in life rather than supporting the subjugation of the people to a massive, centralized government.