Friday, April 17, 2015

David Letterman: Enjoy Every Sandwich

As I've mentioned often, I watch late night TV. It's what I do.

I've been doing something recently that I haven't done routinely for years. I've been watching David Letterman.

With the end of Letterman's The Late Show looming, it's time to watch again, for old times' sake.

He's been a late night host for 33 years.

I was a Late Night regular. Those were the days.

When Letterman moved to CBS, I went along.

Quite a while ago, I dropped out of Letterman's flock. I grew tired of his shtick and his cruelty.

But, I've been drawn back, to say goodbye and remember the decades I spent watching Letterman.

From TIME:

On Monday, the host announced which celebrities will be appearing on his final 28 broadcasts of the Late Show, airing on CBS over the next month and a half in advance of the show’s grand finale on May 20.

This week’s guests will include Sarah Jessica Parker, 2015 Masters winner Jordan Spieth, Billy Crystal, The Talk and Big Brother host Julie Chen, Michael J. Fox, Amy Sedaris, Kevin James, comedian Tom Dreesen and Alec Baldwin. Asleep at the Wheel, Chris Stapleton, Iron & Wine with Ben Bridwell, Tracy Chapman and John Mayer will serve as the week’s musical guests.

...With 33 years’ experience, Letterman, 68, holds the record for longest-running late-night host in history.
From CNN:
The last "Late Show" will air Wednesday, May 20.

Among the notables are Oprah Winfrey, with whom Letterman has had an on-and-off faux feud for years; Clooney, who's starring in "Tomorrowland," which will be released on May 22; and Stern, who's always an engaging Letterman guest.

...Letterman has been a late-night host for 33 years, close to 22 of them on CBS' "Late Show."

Stephen Colbert will take over the "Late Show" on September 8.
Sadly, there are people missing from Letterman's guest list for his final shows, like Warren Zevon.

I still have my stack of VHS tapes of Zevon's many appearances on Late Night and the Late Show.








The next few weeks of late night viewing will be bittersweet.

I hate goodbyes.

Enjoy every sandwich.

No comments: