Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Gabby Douglas and the National Anthem

There's always reason for outrage.

So Gabby Douglas didn't put her hand over heart during the national anthem. Was that a political statement? I hope not.

Putting one's hand over one's heart during the anthem is not required, though it is proper etiquette. Cut her some slack.

Of course, if she intentionally was showing disrespect for the USA, then don't.



___________________

On the campaign trail in 2007, Obama didn't put his hand over his heart.

___________________

Gabby Douglas Apologizes After National Anthem Controversy

The gymnast caught heat on social media for not placing her hand to her heart as “The Star-Spangled Banner” played, prompting a mea culpa from Douglas on Tuesday.

In her apology, she stressed that she “never meant any disrespect.”

“In response to a few tweets I saw tonight, I always stand at attention out of respect for our country whenever the national anthem is played,” Douglas wrote. “I never meant any disrespect and apologize if I offended anyone.”

Douglas continued, “I’m so overwhelmed at what our team accomplished today and overjoyed that we were able to bring home another gold for our country!”
I believe her.

She handled this "controversy" with grace, a true Olympic champion.


No comments: