Thursday, May 24, 2018

Zachary Petrizzo: "Why I'm Leaving Marquette University"

Zachary Petrizzo relays his experience at Marquette University. He explains why he won't be returning. Petrizzo wanted to attend a Jesuit, Catholic institution. He discovered that Marquette is neither.



On CampusReform.org, Petrizzo writes:
I am leaving Marquette University due to the rampant political bias on campus and the school’s growing separation from the Catholic Church.

...After one year at the institution, however, I have discovered that Marquette is anything but a Jesuit and Catholic university. There is no acceptance of conservative thoughts, let alone “diversity of thought,” and opinions that I support are frequently shut down in the classrooms.

I remember vividly a Comparative Politics class during which I mentioned that I found merit to the idea of building a border wall, only to be verbally rebuked by the professor for my opinion.

At one point, several professors hung Planned Parenthood signs on their office doors, yet the same administrators who are always quick to warn students against “microaggressions” still have not even issued a statement affirming the school’s pro-life values.

Dr. Ed de St. Aubin, a psychology professor at Marquette, perhaps put it best when he told The College Fix that “We are not a seminary.”

This is exactly what is wrong with the institution in my opinion. Putting our faith and heritage in a box and saying it can only be practiced in this setting. Our faith should be intertwined in each class and throughout daily life at the university.

...In December, I became Chairman of the Marquette University College Republicans and an Advisor to Marquette for Life, the pro life organization on campus, but I quickly found that this just made me a target.

From that point on, I hated going to class; students would yell “warnings” to others in the hallways, shouting “trigger warning” among other names. Simply because I disagreed with them? I suppose so.

I vividly recall a situation back in March, when two students approached me on a sidewalk and warned me that if I ever entered the Intercultural Center, I—and my family—would be “hunted down."

These incidents were all reported to the university police department after speaking to my parents about the confrontation, but to no avail.

In May of 2018 I would decide to not return to Marquette, and decision I addressed in an open letter to the administration.
This is disgraceful.

I've been saying that about Marquette since November 2014, when I became aware of the university's abuse of a student and its treatment of Dr. John McAdams.

That year, 2014, we chose to withhold our financial support, fully expecting the McAdams situation to be resolved promptly. Of course, that's not how it played out.

Under Mike Lovell's direction, the university will continue down its path of secularization.

I no longer recognize Marquette University.

I didn't leave Marquette.

Marquette left me.






No comments: