Thursday, September 11, 2008

Charlie Gibson Interviews Sarah Palin

I just watched the portions of Charlie Gibson's interview with Sarah Palin that aired on World News earlier this evening.

Naturally, ABC is milking it, airing the interview in portions, on World News, on Nightline, on Good Morning America, on 20/20. Will any segments be aired on Jimmy Kimmel Live?

Transcript excerpts

Some observations:

---The editing was very choppy, very sloppy. I would like to see the uncut version of the interview and read the complete transcript.

---Charles Gibson acted like a pompous ass.

GIBSON: Governor, let me start by asking you a question that I asked John McCain about you, and it is really the central question. Can you look the country in the eye and say "I have the experience and I have the ability to be not just vice president, but perhaps president of the United States of America?"

PALIN: I do, Charlie, and on January 20, when John McCain and I are sworn in, if we are so privileged to be elected to serve this country, will be ready. I'm ready.

GIBSON: And you didn't say to yourself, "Am I experienced enough? Am I ready? Do I know enough about international affairs? Do I -- will I feel comfortable enough on the national stage to do this?"

PALIN: I didn't hesitate, no.

GIBSON: Didn't that take some hubris?

PALIN: I -- I answered him yes because I have the confidence in that readiness and knowing that you can't blink, you have to be wired in a way of being so committed to the mission, the mission that we're on, reform of this country and victory in the war, you can't blink.

So I didn't blink then even when asked to run as his running mate.

Why didn't Gibson just come straight out and tell Palin he thinks she should have blinked, that she's not qualified, and that she's unfit to serve?

Good grief.

---I'm surprised Gibson addressed her as "Governor Palin" and not "Hockey Mom Palin" or "Mother Palin" or "Lightweight Palin" or "Hick Palin."

---Gibson looked either angry or like someone had died.

---Gibson was acting like he was interrogating Palin.

---Gibson was condescending and insulting.

GIBSON: And let me finish with this. I got lost in a blizzard of words there. Is that a yes?

Palin was being clear. It was Gibson who couldn't understand.

---Gibson was trying his best to trip up Palin. It was embarrassing. The way he handled the Bush Doctrine question was especially lame.

GIBSON: Do you agree with the Bush doctrine?

PALIN:
In what respect, Charlie?

GIBSON:
The Bush -- well, what do you -- what do you interpret it to be?

PALIN: His world view.

GIBSON:
No, the Bush doctrine, enunciated September 2002, before the Iraq war.

PALIN: I believe that what President Bush has attempted to do is rid this world of Islamic extremism, terrorists who are hell bent on destroying our nation. There have been blunders along the way, though. There have been mistakes made. And with new leadership, and that's the beauty of American elections, of course, and democracy, is with new leadership comes opportunity to do things better.

GIBSON: The Bush doctrine, as I understand it, is that we have the right of anticipatory self-defense, that we have the right to a preemptive strike against any other country that we think is going to attack us. Do you agree with that?

PALIN:
I agree that a president's job, when they swear in their oath to uphold our Constitution, their top priority is to defend the United States of America.

I know that John McCain will do that and I, as his vice president, families we are blessed with that vote of the American people and are elected to serve and are sworn in on January 20, that will be our top priority is to defend the American people.

The Left is abuzz over Palin supposedly not knowing the Bush Doctrine.

I think Palin handled the question appropriately. Gibson's precise definition of the Bush Doctrine isn't necessarily how others define it. He tried to make her appear clueless. Instead, Gibson came off poorly.

---Palin was confident and strong and in command. This woman is no pushover.

---Gibson jumped on that bit of video of comments Palin made in her church. I think Matt Damon had some input on the questions.

GIBSON: You said recently, in your old church, "Our national leaders are sending U.S. soldiers on a task that is from God." Are we fighting a holy war?

PALIN: You know, I don't know if that was my exact quote.

GIBSON: Exact words.

PALIN: But the reference there is a repeat of Abraham Lincoln's words when he said -- first, he suggested never presume to know what God's will is, and I would never presume to know God's will or to speak God's words.

But what Abraham Lincoln had said, and that's a repeat in my comments, was let us not pray that God is on our side in a war or any other time, but let us pray that we are on God's side.

That's what that comment was all about, Charlie. And I do believe, though, that this war against extreme Islamic terrorists is the right thing. It's an unfortunate thing, because war is hell and I hate war, and, Charlie, today is the day that I send my first born, my son, my teenage son overseas with his Stryker brigade, 4,000 other wonderful American men and women, to fight for our country, for democracy, for our freedoms.

Charlie, those are freedoms that too many of us just take for granted. I hate war and I want to see war ended. We end war when we see victory, and we do see victory in sight in Iraq.

Obviously, Gibson was trying to portray Palin as a religious nutjob. The lib media and other opponents have done the same thing with President Bush. Gibson and those of his ilk don't understand that many Americans do not appreciate these attacks on people of faith.

---Gibson was playing a game of Gotcha. He lost.

---Palin handled Gibson's interrogation extremely well.

---Gibson is a tool of the Left.


---Joe Biden has to be concerned about debating Sarah Palin.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Charles Gibson is a far cry from Walter Cronkite. He is smug, biased, and arrogant. Before seeing his disgraceful and obvious attempts to trip up Sarah I was going to vote for Obama. But you know what? This lady has guts and grace under fire. Thank you Charles Gibson - you just won another vote for McCain/Palin.

Anonymous said...

Charlie wouldn't have treated a man the way he treated Palin. He has no clue as to what goes on in the real world and, in this interview, was playing to his cohorts in the news rather than doing his job.

Last I knew he lived next door to one of the Kennedys.

Again, all of this is helpful to McCain and Palin. I hope these numbnuts keep it up.

Anonymous said...

It's too bad. I was really rooting for her! She came across as strong but unfortunately not very knowledgeable :( And I kind of agree, that if you're asked to take one of the hardest jobs in the world, your humility and respect for the job and those that have come before you, make you pause and take a moment for discernment and prayer, no? I'm definitely surprised by that answer.

Mary said...

Charlie Gibson is shoring up support for McCain-Palin.

And Obama's supporters have to realize that attacking religion may play well to the Dem base, but it fires up people of faith.

Such tactics will send the faithful to the polls in overwhelming numbers.

Anonymous said...

Are you suggesting that people of faith can't be concerned about her level of knowledge? Concerned about her process of discernment? If you're God-fearing you must think she's beyond criticism? Please don't dictate to me what I must think just because I'm a Christian. Shame on you.

Mary said...

No, I'm not suggesting that at all. I'm not "dictating" anything to you.

Frankly, based on what I wrote, I don't know how you came up with that.